DJ "Checklist"? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DJ "Checklist"?

Tech Mentor

here is a tip for you, dont drink when you dj, if you do drink, dont get wasted... trust me, you may dj a bit better if you have a bit of "liquid courage" but there is a line when it goes from loose to sloppy.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

When im using my VCI 100 and Audio 2 with an external mixer i can start packing up when the last song starts and have everything in my bag apart from the laptop and audio 2 plus cables.

I can be out the door before the people leave the dancefloor.

Sometimes those Corn Flakes just call me home and ive gotta move quick!!!

I drink and do a 3 hour set on the radio with no breaks every Saturday night. It's my weekly marathon. hahah
    Von Doom! aka Victorious
    www.isvictorious.com
    Gear list goes here - "It's the carpenter, not the tools"

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vondoom View Post
    I agree with this and want to add a few -

- Do complete strangers come up and give you props? (Your mom, friends, and neighbor don't count. They're just being nice)
    - Just watch the crowd. Do people love it? Are people dancing or texting?
    I agree with all of this, my frat pretty much calls me their dj since that is all i ever enjoy doing when i dont decide to be wasted

The main problem, for me, is reading the crowd. I mean i dont ever get paid so I spin what I want to spin, but I always start it off with what the crowd likes (i.e top 40) and then after about 30 min ill get into hip hop remixes by house/electro/EDM artists like aoki's pursuit of happiness or crooker's day n night).

Trust me, once the alcohol starts flowing ppl dont give a crap what u play

personally the main problem I hate is mixing what other ppl want

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    here is a tip for you, dont drink when you dj, if you do drink, dont get wasted... trust me, you may dj a bit better if you have a bit of "liquid courage" but there is a line when it goes from loose to sloppy.
    +1

and a 2 hour gig is way more time then you would normally DJ? my average is about 3 hours

i meant with drink in hand, not biebers cock.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

being able to troubleshoot technical issues is probably the most important i'd say, especially when dealing with a digital setup. there are so many things that could go wrong, you need to be on top of shit. there's noting worse than being too wasted to level-headedly deal with a sound drop. plus, when you get to playing out in venues or just places with different setups, you'll be able to quickly assess any issues that may arise (mixers you're unfamiliar with are the main problem, buttons/switches in different spots, etc).
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12