midi fighter question
    Tech Mentor

Default midi fighter question

I was wondering if you could connect a fader to the midi fighter unit. or perhaps a jog wheel.

I love the buttons of course, but I would also like to connect other things to it.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

The Midifighter has an expansion port down the side of the motherboard. By default it can handle four buttons and four analog sliders or knobs. These can be enabled using the Boot Menu options for Analog In and Digital In - no programming necessary.

With a little programming, it can be made to read rotary encoders and other devices.

Still need to find me the finer sliders/faders?

Any suggestions Limey?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Faders - the home-build community generally go for the "Alps" brand. A little more expensive but they won't fall apart after a week of use. Lots of things to specify to get exactly the device you need. The details you *must* verify before you buy are:

Slider potentiometer
    60mm or 100mm travel
    Linear (not logarithmic)
    Standard type (i.e. through hole legs, screw holes on top)
    10k Ohms resistance

http://docs-asia.origin.electrocompo...6b80124572.pdf

Any deviation from these precise specifications and you should look elsewhere. There are so many ways to order the wrong thing (I should know...). The Alps sliders are rated for 30,000 lifetime slides, which work out to be just over two hours of sliding back-and-forth four times a second. This is fine for a volume or a CC slider but not acceptable for a scratch crossfader.

Thanks bro', much appreciated!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

What might one use to construct a case?
    I've seen cigar boxes and stuff, but is there a standard, durable case building material that y'all use? Or do I need to get some custom acrylic panels?

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Faders - the home-build community generally go for the "Alps" brand. A little more expensive but they won't fall apart after a week of use. Lots of things to specify to get exactly the device you need. The details you *must* verify before you buy are:

Slider potentiometer
    60mm or 100mm travel
    Linear (not logarithmic)
    Standard type (i.e. through hole legs, screw holes on top)
    10k Ohms resistance
    I was recently looking at fader pots, and noticed the differing power ratings (from 0.05 W to 0.5 W). which is suitable? does it matter?

cheers

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

As long as its 10 k Ohm any power rating will be fine for this application

Tech Student

excellent cheers. I just finished a course at uni where we did digital electronics and made circuits and everything (it was perfect timing really), but i just hadn't seen the power rating part of pots before

now just got to wait for more midifighters to come in..