Spend more time looking for equipment or music?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Spend more time looking for equipment or music?

Do you spend more time looking for the latest and greatest equipment out. Do you spend more time looking for the latest great deal on eBay, craigslist, etc. Do you spend more time reading reviews on equipment.

OR

Do you spend more time looking for remixes, the latest song released, a hidden gem in a blog, reading about collabs and what's being released soon.

Me personally, i'm about 60/40 towards gear. Always wanting the next great deal, or cool equipment that will "make me" better or perhaps just allow me to do more. Then I go hunt for music.

I should probably cut both times in half and practice a few sets and effects together!!!!

i get into spells where i am obsessed with getting new gear lol. but then i try to reason with myself about the affordability of some of these things. (currently looking at the xone dx lol).
    sometimes i spend a lot of time making midi mappings. i just think they're fun to make! i dont spend tons of time looking for music although i think i should. i usually hit up beatport and find some schtuff i like =D

I'm probably about 50/50. I just like to stay up to date on everything. And I'll be honest, posting a music blog has got me digging a bit more than I used to, and it's nice.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

hmm... Probably more time looking for music. I'm fairly happy with my setup, to the point where I dont have room to use all of it in most cases (VCI, BCR2k, lpd8,). I always see a need for new music, tunes that havnt been rinsed.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Music
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Banned

Music hands down. I already have the hardware I want/know what I want to get so there's no need to keep digging unless something new and outstanding comes out.

The gear won't make you a better DJ, it's all about playing great music.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

i look at gear a lot trying to find deals but it's mostly just for fun so i know what i will buy when i actually have money. I love digging through all the music blogs but I can find it daunting trying to find tracks that are good quality mp3s and such. Beatport has become a great resource for finding completely new artists for me. I check their top 100 all the time just to see what's out there that i'm missing.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1

Tech Mentor

Definitely spend more time searching and sorting out my music. I only ever search for gear if I feel I need something new, otherwise I don't need too as my set up works just fine.

The way I see it the audience only really care about the music your playing, not what your using to you mix it, so in that respect I consider my music as being waaaay more important than my equipment...
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Like a typical guy who always wants more, I obsess over gear and look at a lot of it and daydream, even though I'm VERY happy with my setup... At the end of the day though, I easily spend the majority of my time looking for new music...

I'm working on a compilation series that addresses different emotions in each volume, so most of my music searching is based on finding tracks that fit perfectly into the concepts I'm chasing. Knowing how many perfect tracks I need to get a hold of to accomplish this, I try not to waste time on looking for equipment that will ultimately require a change in my style...
    Trump

Trance is:"By far the best form of music that exists. A recent study showed that if a population is divided into musical preference, those who claim a strong allegiance to trance have the highest average IQ. Trance is the music of the genius-generation."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast