Powered Sub connection questions?

Default Powered Sub connection questions?

Ok. So currently I have two EV full range cabs and a 900 watt amp. I've been trying to think of the best possible way to get some low end in my system. So I think I have found the best and most economical way to do that. I found a used JBL 18" powered sub.
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...fer?sku=600434
    My only question is, what exactly is the best way to hook this up to my existing system. Right now i have my audio output running into a ten channel mixer. I then run the left and right outputs from that into my the channel a and b inputs of my 900 watt amp which then runs to my two EV's. So what is the best way to get the signal to the sub. I mean, a non powered is easy, to just run another line from each EV's output. But obviously that won't work here. What do I do?
    Should I use the stereo send on the mixer using the RCA-tape out- get an RCA to XLR cable? What are my other options?

not 100% percent sure here because i dont actually have a powered subwoofer yet but am also in the market to buy one, so have looked into them alot lately. i believe the way this would work is the left and right outputs from your mixer will go into the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer outs you will go into your amp that powers your mains, then from the amp to the mains as usual. the subwoofer should have an internal crossover so that way it will only send the mids and highs to your mains (i believe this is how that works), while you sub gets all the low end.

if someone who actually has a powered sub could shed some light it would be much appreciated because i wanna make sure i have all this straightened out as well before i purchase an active subwoofer myself.

yes. puhhlease. Im going to get it around 7 and the guy lives right by a guitar center, would love to get that and some cables, if needed, all at da same time.

Tech Guru

hmm there are 2 ways I can think of doing this.

First: does your amp have a signal through(this would be xlr, and would either say thru, link, or Output). If it does, you can just feed xlr from that, to the subs A and B.

The reason I suggest this method first, is because any sort of delay in the bass (below 80 hz) is extremly hard to pick up on.

If you amp doesnt have this, you can run you cables from you mixer straight to the subs a and b, and then run xlr from a and b to your amp. Obviously, you'd have to buy the right cables to interface with all your gear. 4 of the cables would have t have xlr on one side, and whatever you want/need on the other.
    Last edited by sine143; 05-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Tech Wizard

The best way to connect the sub is to run XLR cables from your mixer output to the sub inputs. Then use the outputs on the sub to route the sound back to your amp. Hook your EV cabs up as normal. Adjust the levels on the amp and the sub and you're done.

By the way, your assumption about about just running a second set of speaker cable from your amp to an unpowered sub is wrong. When you do that it reduces your impedence by half. Some amps can't handle that kind of abuse and will go up in smoke when loaded like that. In certain cases this will give you near double the power output of your amp, but you lose precision and quality of the sound.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

Tech Guru

If it was an unpowered sub, he could run speakon from channel 1 to the sub, and then speakon to top 1, top 1 speakon to top ASSUMING his amp can handle a 4 ohm load.

I dont know what amps you have been using, but most commercially available amps (from ~ reputable companies, even behringer) produces amps that are stable to 2 ohms. EV has fairly good standing in the sound reinforcement world, if I'm not mistaken.

But thats all just fun an games, cause he doesnt have a nonpowered sub, he's got a powered one.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    hmm there are 2 ways I can think of doing this.

First: does your amp have a signal through(this would be xlr, and would either say thru, link, or Output). If it does, you can just feed xlr from that, to the subs A and B.

The reason I suggest this method first, is because any sort of delay in the bass (below 80 hz) is extremly hard to pick up on.

If you amp doesnt have this, you can run you cables from you mixer straight to the subs a and b, and then run xlr from a and b to your amp. Obviously, you'd have to buy the right cables to interface with all your gear. 4 of the cables would have t have xlr on one side, and whatever you want/need on the other.

+1 <-- what he said.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Thanks for the help guys. Just ran 1/4 inch to xlr to the sub and out to the amp, then to the EVs. Oh Man... I love this thing. Sine, I know you have that awesome tuba, I drooled when I saw that, I wish man- I wish. But this definitely does exactly what I needed. Now I have to put some serious consideration into my ears.

Tech Guru

dude, it doesnt matter what I'm running haha. they are a little on the overkill size for most of the parties I spin, and they take up a hell of a lot of room in the apt. The powere118 will do exactly what you want, add that low end thump

Yea man exactly... Didn't mean to sound like that. What I meant is I thought that the JBL wouldn't sound the way I wanted when it came to the lower ranges... but I was surprised. And thanks for the help man, and to all.