Traktor Educational Version Annoyances
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Traktor Educational Version Annoyances

So I have the Traktor Scratch Pro Educational Version, which I got at a much reduced price.

I recently found out you can't use any educational NI product for any commercial purpose. I have started to make a small (very small) amount of money from DJ-ing for various events around campus. So in effect I have broken the liscence agreement right?

Should I be worried about this?

Also, from the NI website Educational Program FAQ:

I have the Educational Version of a NI product - now the new version is available. How can I update?
    The Educational Version entitles you to buy the normal full version update. You can find the prices in our Online Shop. The advantage is you then own a full version. There is no educational price-reduction for updates.
    Does this mean when a PAID upgrade for Traktor comes out, and I purchase it, my educational version will then become a FULL version, allowing me to use it for commercial purposes?

Tech Mentor

NI has no idea what version you are using in a club. wtf they going to do walk up to you and ask to see what version you are running?

Tech Mentor

This is true,

But I'm speaking on purely technical/legal terms..

Also, I may buy other NI products in the future, and would like to take advantage of the student pricing while i still can. Once I graduate, from what seems to be the general consensus on the NI forums, I shouldn't even be USING the products at all..which I just find dumb.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

An EDU product remains an EDU product no matter whether its upgraded or not.

You can use an EDU product for the rest of your life.
    As EDU products cant be used for commercial purposes it doesnt matter that you use it after you graduate. Its the situation your in at the time of purchase that enables you to buy an EDU product, it doesnt mean they are only to be used in EDU situations.

EDU products for Universities and Institutions are different than for Students etc.

As for NI finding out that you use an EDU to make money..? Who knows. I aint gonna comment.

posting it on the net might not help.... web spiders are everywhere....

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    An EDU product remains an EDU product no matter whether its upgraded or not.

You can use an EDU product for the rest of your life.
    As EDU products cant be used for commercial purposes it doesnt matter that you use it after you graduate. Its the situation your in at the time of purchase that enables you to buy an EDU product, it doesnt mean they are only to be used in EDU situations.

EDU products for Universities and Institutions are different than for Students etc.

As for NI finding out that you use an EDU to make money..? Who knows. I aint gonna comment.
    What does this mean on NI's website then?
    Its word for word from the NI website Educational program FAQ

I have the Educational Version of a NI product - now the new version is available. How can I update?
    The Educational Version entitles you to buy the normal full version update. You can find the prices in our Online Shop. The advantage is you then own a full version. There is no educational price-reduction for updates.
    Link: http://www.native-instruments.com/en...n-program/faq/

It sounds like paying for an update brings you to a full version

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Does the educational version have less features than the full version? I didn't see that on the FAQ page. I suspect it doesn't and what your paying to upgrade to isn't really a different version of the software, but a different license to use the software. I could be wrong though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    It sounds like paying for an update brings you to a full version
    I was not aware of that and ive never seen or heard of that before.
    Well its there in black & white. Id say that is pretty cool .

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Does the educational version have less features than the full version? I didn't see that on the FAQ page. I suspect it doesn't and what your paying to upgrade to isn't really a different version of the software, but a different license to use the software. I could be wrong though.
    EDU versions are complete versions in all respect. The only difference is in the license agreements.
    An update would be a paid upgrade (like from Traktor 3 to Traktor Pro).
    You cant upgrade an EDU license to a full licence without an actual software upgrade.

Murky waters all this EDU stuff but you can get good deals.

as far as I know the EDU version has the same features as the full version. The difference is that the license in non-transferable...meaning you can't sell your license. But i'm sure there are ways around that.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1

Tech Mentor

there are no feature differences

I just wanted to know if my educational version will become a full version if i buy a paid update...as seems to be suggested from what i read from NI

I should probably check with them just in case....

I'm thinking of getting a Maschine for that nifty educational discount...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast