Korg Kaoss Pad and Traktor (Cueing, Looping & Effects)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Korg Kaoss Pad and Traktor (Cueing, Looping & Effects)

The topic has been brought up before, but not answered to the extent I'm looking for.

I need help either building or finding a solid .tsi for the KP3.

I have one that was posted on techtools quite some time ago at
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72576

But it's not functioning properly (the FX aren't working at all and the X-Y pad isn't responding within Traktor), nor does it give me the kind of access I want to the effects built into Traktor and those on board the KP3.

So, are there any thoughts, comments, or ideas on how we can get a polished and fluid KP3 MIDI mapping for Traktor?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian, welcome to the forums. I'm not a KP expert but I'll have a go.

If I understand you want to control certain Traktor features (midi) and use the Kaos pads effects at the same time. In so far as I know, that is not possible on that machine. You can either run it as a midi controller or use the effects. The effects are not midi, they are audio, so the output of your sound card has to be run through the pad, and then to your speakers(or mixer). If you want the effects and have them timed with Traktor, you will have to have them midi synced(one as master and one as slave) so they follow the same tempo.

Let us know what you would like to do exactly, and the details of your set-up and we can help you a bit better.

Phil.

P.S. This should be in the "controller" section of the forum. I saw you had another thread you asked to be closed ;-)
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

I left the controller section of the forum due to Ean's guidelines for that section:
    "This forum is only for posting midi mappings of software.

This forum is not for posting questions on how to map devices, or getting advice - if you have any questions about mapping something or need advice ask in the General Forum."

Anyways, moving forward, understanding that I can't access built in KP3 effects while in external mode- I am looking to map the effects within Traktor to the KP3.
    Ideally, I'd like to be able to have buttons turn on certain effects that I have preselected, and the X-Y pad at least be able to control the gain, amount, or parameters of a given effect.

As far as my current setup, I'm using Traktor, a soundcard (nothing impressive, just a DJ|io) and a DJM 600. Would I be better off steering clear of my attempts to map the KP3 and simply route the unit through the DJM?

Also- how would I use the KP3 on a mixer that doesn't have FX send/receive without the KP3 left only able to manipulate the master out?

Thanks again-

Tech Mentor

What kind of mixer are you working with.. ?

Can't you bus the outputs to a seperate mixer channel and route it to the KP3 and then back into the mixer?

Pioneer DJM 600, as I said in my previews post.
    I'm actually more confused than I though- so how do I route the KP3 to the DJM 600 so I can affect either one channel or the other, and not just the master output?

Hi Ian,

About the KP3-Mixer thing, you really have to have a send/return on the mixer. I use it with an old Pioneer DJM-600 and it works perfectly. If you don't have it, you'll only be able to control the master output.

About the KP3-Traktor thing, I used the .tsi from the link you gave on the first post and for now I cannot complain (it was not mapped as I wanted, but I just re-mapped it) >> I installed the USB-MIDI driver, plus the KP3 Editor (where you can find the correlation between button-code for external control). Then, inside Traktor Pro preferences, I've just imported the .tsi (the one you gave) and checked the assignments of what was KP3 doing with Traktor. And then, it's quite simple to change the button-assignment in there (\Preferences\Controller Manager\Device: choose 'Generic MIDI'\And there you have the Assignment Table + all the Device Mapping ready to be changed).

I use both while going live - KP3 internal effects (connected by send/return to the mixer) and if I want to use Traktor effects I just click 'Direct' on the KP3, plus the Shift-8 to activate the MIDI and it goes to read my effects mapping in there

Hope it helped

Quote Originally Posted by iansuri View Post
    Pioneer DJM 600, as I said in my previews post.
    I'm actually more confused than I though- so how do I route the KP3 to the DJM 600 so I can affect either one channel or the other, and not just the master output?
    the djm 600 has send/return, you select in the effects section and assign it to a channel as you would any other effect

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

You can in fact use the kp3's effects as well as use it as a midi controller in a single dj set seamlessly, meaning: go back and forth between internal & midi mode without having to switch wires or have any audio disturbances - & that's why you can't midi-map things like the kp3's volume knob.

when you want to switch your KP3 to midi-controller mode hit shift+8 (audio is undisturbed, and still passes threw the kp3 as normal)

to switch it back to use the kp3's internal effects again *I believe you hit just hit [shift], *ill post how for sure when I get home*

&like I said you can jump around modes, to utilize all effects available on one unit (software & hardware!)

here: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11073 I've also posted links and directions to upgrading the kp3's firmware which you may need to do to get my mapping to get the x-y pad to control traktors effects (also make sure that effects unit one is set to Chained)

I also mapped it so long ago, I probably need to remap it to Traktors latest version. - when I get home ill remap that and post it for you. *also ill find out what exactly you hit to go back for midi to internal mode.

Another thing, download the latest version of the kp3 software editor and you can edit the settings to really personalize your KP3 (for example with your name in it's LED's) or even switch the X-Y pad into to a 8 channel touch screen midi-controller for producing!

If you guys want ill go all out and make a video tutorial & even post a bunch of KP3 TSI's to fit everyones' steezes. take cares - Stephen Alois
    Last edited by LiveFastStephen; 06-24-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFastStephen View Post
    You can in fact use the kp3's effects as well as use it as a midi controller in a single dj set seamlessly, meaning: go back and forth between internal & midi mode without having to switch wires or have any audio disturbances - & that's why you can't midi-map things like the kp3's volume knob.

when you want to switch your KP3 to midi-controller mode hit shift+8 (audio is undisturbed, and still passes threw the kp3 as normal)

to switch it back to use the kp3's internal effects again *I believe you hit just hit [shift], *ill post how for sure when I get home*

&like I said you can jump around modes, to utilize all effects available on one unit (software & hardware!)

here: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11073 I've also posted links and directions to upgrading the kp3's firmware which you may need to do to get my mapping to get the x-y pad to control traktors effects (also make sure that effects unit one is set to Chained)

I also mapped it so long ago, I probably need to remap it to Traktors latest version. - when I get home ill remap that and post it for you. *also ill find out what exactly you hit to go back for midi to internal mode.

Another thing, download the latest version of the kp3 software editor and you can edit the settings to really personalize your KP3 (for example with your name in it's LED's) or even switch the X-Y pad into to a 8 channel touch screen midi-controller for producing!

If you guys want ill go all out and make a video tutorial & even post a bunch of KP3 TSI's to fit everyones' steezes. take cares - Stephen Alois
    Kaoss master

and yes i think you should share what tsi files you have

does it have midi pages/scenes? if not i can't add one as midi to my set-up, way i want to go eats 4 modifiers, and i'm already maxed out

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

Hello guys,

is LED feedback possible in external mode? I just tried to map the KP3 a bit but couldn't figure out how I may output led data. The only thing that worked so far regarding led feedback is the Hold and A-D banks. But the feedback doesn't come up in external mode, only in normal operation. In external mode all lights are lit up...

Yeah and of course it sends midi signals in normal mode (although the notes are different than the ones in external modes for some actions).

o_O

Best regards,
    Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast