Hi! I'm more than a beginner...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Hi! I'm more than a beginner...

...in fact I'm an ultra beginner,but I'd like to learn Djing(for fun).
    I already have Traktor Pro and I'm slowly learning to use it, now I feel that using a mouse is a massive limit and I would like to buy a controller.
    I've seen the Vestax VCI 100 Arcade and I deeply fell in love with what you can do with it, I also noticed the Akai APC40 and I don't really understand which one would be the best for me.
    I know that I want to learn to mix 2 tracks and play with some cue juggling, What do you reckon would be the better choice between these:
    AKAI?
    VCI 100 Arcade?
    VCI 100SE+Midi Fighter?
    Dear old mouse+Midi Fighter?
    VCI 100+FW updater+Midi Fighter?
    You are a bloody noob, you don't need a Midi Fighter or arcade buttons, just learn to mix first...?

I just want to point out that the money IS a problem, so the more expensive will be the device that you suggest, the longer I'll have to wait to save the money that I need...
    BTW I apologize for my wonky english!
    Ah yeah this is my first post so hello everyone!

In your case i would hold out and save for the VCI-SE Arcade & The Midifighter. Great controllers plus you will have access to lots of help and advice from many on this forum that use them. Welcome to the forums
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Ok sounds like I'll have a long way of saving in front of me then...
    What if I buy a cheap second hand hercules mk2 for the moment, just to have some fun and get some experience with traktor while i save the rest of the money?

I bought a Vestax VCM-100 for $229 here: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...LAID=199458363

If you mix dance music or even open-format, without needing to scratch or do "tricks" to keep the crowd entertained, it is a solid deal.
    It is small and portable and it comes with a built-in soundcard too. That saves you $99 right there. I've done 3 parties with the VCM-100 and a laptop. Perfect little setup.

I have a custom Vestax VCM-100 midi map I made here: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13573

If you decide that you need more control later you can step up to the VCI-100 ARCADE.

>

Tech Guru

Hmm, If I was going to recommend a cheap beginner controller to someone, especially someone who is planning on getting a vci, I would say go grab an Akai LPD8. It lacks faders, but it will get you started with 8 knobs and 8 buttons. I find myself doing a lot of mixing with mine while I'm lounging around watching television and whatnot, and its really great for drafting things up.

It will also allow you to have fun learning the mapping functions of Traktor. There are plenty of mappings available, but I found it beneficial to map mine out myself, and you can knock out a basic mixing mapping in about 30 minutes or so, from complete noob to done.

I was in the position as you just over a year ago, and bought the korg nanokontrol, it's not the greatest but is cheap tho. and like sine said it's good to learn the midi mapping of traktor and it's only small and sits right infront of your laptop.

If you've already got Traktor, you can do a LOT with just mapping out the keyboard. Look up Earl Panda, he started with a "custom" keyboard and a mouse. He stuck with it while putting his pennies aside for his VCI.

The VCI may not be ideal, but with this community behind it, you can't go wrong.

In my opinion, hold out for the VCI.

Also, what are you using for a soundcard? That should be high on your list too!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

I started of with a mk2....it even got me through my very first $80 club gig, if you can play the music and people enjoy it, then fuck what equip you use. And yes, I may have been looked at like "is he really mixing with VDJ light" but guess what, I had people dancing so who cares. Save your money and go with a vci, this forum is pretty much the number 1 reason to do so. I can honestly say that people on here are more helpful than just about anywhere and it makes a great product (vci 100) an amazing one. As for saving money, why not try to buy a vci used and do the arcade mod yourself. Just my 2 cents, and because I think it's appropriate, I'm going to thank everyone who's helped me on the forum with my arcade edition and traktor!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    Hmm, If I was going to recommend a cheap beginner controller to someone, especially someone who is planning on getting a vci, I would say go grab an Akai LPD8. It lacks faders, but it will get you started with 8 knobs and 8 buttons. I find myself doing a lot of mixing with mine while I'm lounging around watching television and whatnot, and its really great for drafting things up.

It will also allow you to have fun learning the mapping functions of Traktor. There are plenty of mappings available, but I found it beneficial to map mine out myself, and you can knock out a basic mixing mapping in about 30 minutes or so, from complete noob to done.
    Akai LPD8 ftw. Less than 100$ (75$ where I bought it), has knobs and is easy to map once you understand the thing itself. Totally recommend it.

Tech Student

Just go for VCI 100SE+Midi Fighter. It might take some time till you'll be able to purchase it but in future you'll be secure as this combination is best and fulfill all your needs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast