CDJ vs. VCI. Jog wheel response (calling all scratchers)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default CDJ vs. VCI. Jog wheel response (calling all scratchers)

Ok, so I'm playing in clubs and 9 times out of 10 the mixer has a shit crossfader or a fader that doesn't even work. This leaves no scope for me to properly scratch or show off considering they don't even have proper TT's, only CDJ's. I'm thinking it's time I get involved with this VCI lark after seeing you can scratch on them.
    Before I invest and end up being disappointed, how close to scratching with vinyl is the VCI? What is better/more responsive to scratch with out of a CDJ 1000 or a VCI? The CDJ's I think are ok but aren't the greatest, you can scratch but you can't get right in there like with the control vinyl. Bigger hand movements are required in my opinion. How is it with the VCI? Can you really get in there with the smaller scratches?
    What about the TT's break speed, can that be adjusted like on a CDJ? I want to be able to mimmic the switching off and slowing down of a real TT.
    Basically I want something that best suited to battle DJ's and Turntablism. Is the VCI the best to go for or is there something else on the market to go for?
    Any help greatly appreciated

Tech Guru

the VCI 100 w Traktor is not meant of scratching. It actually sucks for scratching. THe best controller for scratching at the moment is the NS7 with Itch, there's no controller on the market that works with traktor that provides good scratching. The VCI-300 and Itch is decent for scratching but no where near vinyl.

^+1

There is an ongoing discussion on the VCI-300 jogs here:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13420

But vinyl is still king!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

@ Haze. Really? That's a bummer. I need something portable and not as expensive as that. I saw this vid which kinda sold it for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Y50...eature=related

He says the fader is good yet there is software latency, but he wasn't running Tpro. I was hoping there wasn't as much latency with my set-up (2.4 macbook TPro & audio 8). Can anyone confirm how good or bad the jogwheel response is? The crossfader looks fine. But is the VCI worth getting for a scratch DJ? I'm not expecting the earth but just to be able to pull off moves better than on a CDJ.

@Phil. Not really interest in the 300, doesn't have enough rotary dials for FX etc. I think the 100 is more suited to my style of mixing
    Last edited by dodge; 05-13-2010 at 11:11 AM.

There isnt much latency if you set the thing up correctly.

You can pull off moves better on a CDJ than you will on the VCI-100, the 300 has a better response but doesnt yet work with Tpro as well as it could.

You can also get better scratch performance than what is showed in this vid, he is rather using firmware 1.1 or firmware 1.2 but with the .tsi incorrectly setup.

yeah dude...the platter is just too small on the VCI-100.

Why not get a VCI-100 and timecode too.

Then you can use the vinyl timecode and also the cuepoint via the buttons on the VCI.
    You can also access the FX via the VCI.

This is what I am doing.

Its versatile....cuz you can either play WITH the Timecodes....or if you can;t fit that shit in the booth....just the VCI.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

You can also use the VCI-100 to control deck C and D if ur using timecode

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    You can also get better scratch performance than what is showed in this vid, he is rather using firmware 1.1 or firmware 1.2 but with the .tsi incorrectly setup.
    To be fair I don't think the scratching is that bad in the vid considering what he's working with. If I can get better response then what is shown then I'm happy. I have a residency in a club with a proper shit mixer for any kinda turntablist type shit so being able to do something is better then not being able to do anything at all. All I can do is faderless scratching at the mo. I'd like to be able to show off a bit more then that.

What about break speed FX. Like switching off a TT and letting the track slow down. Is that possible? And what about drag scratching, or what ever its called... when you put a finger on the vinyl and pull it back with your other hand letting your finger vibrate the record to getting a fast wobble effect?

Thanks for all this help guys

Tech Guru

I'm guessing this is gonna be shit for scratching?

http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1458

Yeah....that all works with the Timecode!

@Bento....C and D with Timecode....thats kinda what I am after.

You can scratch with the VCI yes....but its not practical.
    Its not fun!!

But you can get away with a wikki wikki....sure.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast