Impossible to beatgrid "Phobos" by Stephan Bodzin?
    Tech Student

Default Impossible to beatgrid "Phobos" by Stephan Bodzin?

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to DJing/Traktor Pro. I just went through pretty much every tutorial I could find on beatgridding, including Ean's. I'm trying to beatgrid the the track Phobos by Stephan Bodzin (which Ean used in the youtube video of him at Watergate in Berlin).

It's impossible! I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but is this fairly common? I mean it's possible that the track itself has a couple of sections of bass drums out of time with the snares, right?

I've tried to set my grid on a snare at the beginning of the track. Then I've been adjusting bpm carefully. Most of the track aligns perfectly now, but there are a couple of sections where the bass drums are WAY off. But in other parts they're ok... and the snares seem ok most everywhere.

What do people do in a case like this? Seems like with the techniques presented in the tutorial, it's all about lining up the first gridpoint, using the move markers tool to set it up perfectly, then changing bpm to make the grid tighter or looser so that beats further along line up.

But that's all assuming there is a metronomic, perfect timing to the whole song. I can't see electronic music being out of time, so that's a safe assumption, but this track is driving me insane. Every day I spend like 20 minutes on it then give up and use autogrid! But I'll keep trying.

Tech Mentor

Is it a vinyl rip? might just be wow and flutter at work, in which case drop it into ableton live and warp it.

Tech Student

No, it's a V0 from a CD.

Banned

Regardless, if it drifts that much drop it into Ableton and warp it like N2 said.

Tech Student

Like I said, I'm just starting out and I definitely don't have Ableton!

It seems like if I ignore the first section before the intro breakdown, everything is perfect. Which makes me think the track is messed up in that section... fortunately, I don't really want to use anything from the first 30 seconds.

Just for future reference, what does the Warp function in Ableton do? Does it allow you to set a bpm adjustment curve over the timepoints in the track?