Mixer+Kontrol x1 OR VCI-100
    Tech Convert

Default Mixer+Kontrol x1 OR VCI-100...HELP

hey so here's where i'm at. I bought a djm-400 mixer + kontrol x1, i am currently spinning electro, trance and dance music. im new to djing and im not sure if i should keep the set-up i have or return it and get a the vci-100.

which set-up is better???

which one has more options???

do i need jog wheels???

is my set-up a poor choice or is it decent for beginner to intermediate???

please help a guy out!!!
    Last edited by firedj; 05-17-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Tech Mentor

Only you can decide which setup is better as everyone likes different things, work out what you want your gear to do for you............

On second thoughts ill let haze get in here, he is the expert on mixer + x1 vs VCI, over to you sir.......

Tech Guru

Thats a tough one, but surely all about preference. Why not external mix with the vci, so you get the best of both worlds.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Here's the question you should be asking yourself:
    Are you going to continue to use a laptop in your setup indefinitely?

If so, the VCI-100 with it's MIDI mapping capabilities seems like the best option if you're sure you'll be continuing to use a laptop and can replace the function severed by both the DJM and Kontrol x1.

If you'll ever move away from strictly laptop djing, however, and want to go analog with CDJs (or even vinyl), the DJM 400 would be a decent mixer to have around for such an application.

Tech Convert

as it is right now i feel like i can do some decent things with my current set up. but the only thing i am missing is the jog wheels.

my mixer gives me complete eq, volume and x fadder capabilities, my kx1 gives me complete control over my fx, browser, looping, tempo, cue points, pitch bending, sync, ect....

btw......wats the diffrenece between pitch bending with a jog wheel vs kx1 buttons???

if im able to speed the track up or slow it down, via a button, to match the beat, what else would i need it for????

Have you thought about the Eks XP5? Those could add jogwheels to your setup without having to switch everything up.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter