OT: Software Developers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default OT: Software Developers

What kind of degree would you go for in college? I'm guessing computer science? Would anybody have an idea of the main math courses to take if not all of them?
    MacBook Pro • Ableton Live 8.1.1 • Novation Nocturn • LPK25

Calc 1 +2 , linear algebra, some other miscellaneous math courses thrown in..Depending on your school of choice requirements vary slightly. All school website will list their requirements

Tech Mentor

look into schools with a music technology program that can cross into a computer science major. (im assuming since youre on this forum that might be the kind of software youre interested in). i currently attend northeastern university in boston as a music tech major, while im more interested in composition and what not, the kids who are looking towards software development are dual majors in music tech and computer sci. hope this helps

Tech Wizard

Cool. Thanks for the info guys.

Tech Wizard

Hey Rami,

I just checked out the northeastern university's music tech page and it looks very interesting. How do you like it so far? How's the education?

My buddy has a degree in Computer Science from UMASS Lowell. He took 2 extra Math classes got a double major in Computer Science and Mathematics...

It's a lot of math.

UMASS Lowell actually has a really degree program called "Sound Recording Technology" that I was looking into for awhile.

I know you can major in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering and get a minor in Sound Recording Technology as well. It's a really neat program.

If I could afford to go back to school, that's probably a degree I would take. Maybe if I win the lottery someday.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

I was between computer engineering and computer science, and I am happier that I chose to take engineering, (engineering is more the low level software ie. software that translates hardware to make higher level stuff easy and compact) in my view you can study programming (ie. science largely) on your own, since the materials are much more available, but the stuff dealing with circuits and low level hardware is harder to find (i find).
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

I'm a Database Administrator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_database mainly) with focus on Performance Tuning.

I have a degree of Data Processing Technologist (3 years course) but I didn't learned anything about it at my university. I learned all from google and forums like DJTT (as I did with DJing).

I'm now going to self study to get Oracle Certifications:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_...=15941&lang=US

They worth more in my area then a degree at the best university or something like that...

One thing you should invest your time is at Logical Thinking, you can practice it for fun by mapping different controllers at traktor, using a lot of modifiers, and by using bomes (I think...). You need to have a very good Logical Thinking to make a map like VCI100 SE Map.

Since you use Ableton, I think you could enter the Max For Live world, it seems to heavily use Logical Thinking to make a complex Patch. You can talk with M4L geeks like Bento to check that

My personal advice is: since you are still learning, try to focus on what gives you pleasure. I did play a lot of MMORPGs and FPS Shooting type of games on my University, that mades me learn English (I'm still suck at writing, but I can read and listen anything), learn to have a fast response and to antecipate some problem situations. I still use what I've learned and I'm doing really well with my professional life (I'm rising fast on my career).

Good luck on your jorney
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 05-18-2010 at 08:24 AM.

I agree with both V-hoff and mpeterson3. You will learn more about programming by having to find solutions to something you are trying to program (V-hoff). And working really closely with what I consider a true system designer, his understanding of the "guts" of the hardware make his ability to find solutions uncanny (mpeterson3).

I too went down the engineering route, but for different reasons. My first passing is racing (cars and bikes) and I worked in the racing industry for many years. It is the problem solving aspect of those pressure situations that have become my strongest assets.

You education is good on a resume to get a job, but your ability to get the job done in a team environment is what really counts.

My 2 cents.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Wizard

Wow. Thanks for all the great advice. Gave me a lot to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast