Can someone explain dubstep to me? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

to start off... everyone should google "living inside the speaker documentary". excellent film about the roots of dubstep in bristol.

now in my opinion, i would say a few years ago, dubstep woulda been easier to clasify or pigeon hole because it was just gaining its ground as a subgenre to electronic dance music. one could desribe most dubstep as half step beats with heavy basslines. but nowadays, we see that this description definitely doesnt fit well with most dubstep. producers are bluring the lines and venturing out into other subgenres and creating their own. one example: consider the sound pellegrino label (awesome label by the way). they were never a really a dubstep label, but they seem to be taking influences from dubstep, tech house, and mnml and throwing them into some melting pot of fresh, quality edm.

this is just my opinion. there will never be a right answer to this thread.

but on a side note someone had mentioned that dubstep isnt meant to be danced to and i couldnt disagree more. love getting grimey to some bassmusic

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    hmmm... don't feel anymore enlightened really, maybe if i didn't ignore the UKG scene for the last 5 years.... lol
    LOL was gona do a long post earlier as to history of ukg ect tbh will resuscitate this thread at the weekend

UKG for life

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    to start off... everyone should google "living inside the speaker documentary". excellent film about the roots of dubstep in bristol.
    Dubstep started in Croyden Southish of Londinium

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    LOL was gona do a long post earlier as to history of ukg ect tbh will resuscitate this thread at the weekend

UKG for life
    fairly familiar with the history tbh, used to be big into my garage when i was around 15 (so about 10 years ago), actually took the time to dig into it (beyond ez and artful dodger :eek: lol) as it was what i wanted to dj with when i got my first decks, but some reason went down the house road instead, then breaks, now house again...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Dubstep started in Croyden Southish of Londinium
    was never claiming that it started anywhere just for the record. im sure it never "started" anywhere really...

it just appeared one day!

SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    fairly familiar with the history tbh, used to be big into my garage when i was around 15 (so about 10 years ago), actually took the time to dig into it (beyond ez and artful dodger :eek: lol) as it was what i wanted to dj with when i got my first decks, but some reason went down the house road instead, then breaks, now house again...
    Nice one

To me been to alot of raves but UKG ( all of it is very close to my heart ) had the bubble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUp8a08gyqI

Still love my house but there ant any rave like a proper Garage rave

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    was never claiming that it started anywhere just for the record. im sure it never "started" anywhere really...

kinda

that was my 'gateway' track, along with rewind. then dug backwards and underground from there

SoundCloud

dubstep is on fire atm down here, everyone knows what it is and everyone's playing it. sold out shows (headhunter this sat!!), it's getting to be a good place to be.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast