VCI-100SE vs. VCI-100
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI-100SE vs. VCI-100

Hey i'm looking into buying the VCI-100 controller. I played with one that my friend had for a while and I loved what it could do and just the format and everything felt like it was a creative beast

Anywhoozle what are the advantages of a Special Edition VCI from DJTT compared to a normal VCI-100 from Vestax? Can't I just download the mapping and apply it to the VCI i buy from vestax?

Thanks for any advice
    Gear:
    - Behringer BCD3000 "Goldeen"
    - HDJ 1000's "Metapod"
    - Macbook White (old generation) "Ponyta"

Quote Originally Posted by jdog667 View Post
    Anywhoozle what are the advantages of a Special Edition VCI from DJTT compared to a normal VCI-100 from Vestax? Can't I just download the mapping and apply it to the VCI i buy from vestax?
    As far as I know, you should be able to do that. I think the SE sends the same MIDI signals as the standard VCI-100 so Traktor gets the same messages and interpretes them right, according to the mapping.

Personally, I chose the normal VCI-100 over the SE because t I use a Korg NanoPad for beat juggling; so no need for the arcade buttons but I'm sure they are nice to have. I also wanted to have my complete own mapping.

Tech Mentor

Im pretty sure you need the correct firmware if you want to use the djtt mapping, which the standard version doesn't have?

the SE has the 1.3 firmware update.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You need the correct, 1.3 firmware to run the DJTT mapping properly. You can do this yourself and it's pretty easy. It involves taking the bottom of your vci off, moving a board and plugging in the kit. Some guys have had problems getting computers and cables to work properly, but I think they usually get everything sorted out. That's the big difference in the SE because all that's done for you. The arcade edition has that done and the face plate machined with buttons installed. I chose to do it all myself mostly because I'm cheap and pretty good at hacking stuff up.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

So a 1.3 VCI sends different MIDI messages than a normal VCI when you press the same button?

if i´m not mistaking fader fx mode doesn´t work with fw1.2
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by kreativiTit View Post
    So a 1.3 VCI sends different MIDI messages than a normal VCI when you press the same button?
    There are a few little bugs in firmware 1.2 that 1.3 addresses. Also. as earl panda wrote, fader FX does not work properly as the line faders now send out an extra midi message when at the very bottom. The way the filter in the DJTT mapping works also requires firmware 1.3 to work properly (this one I'm not 100% sure about though).

So without 1.3, the mappings can get a little wonky.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think it it sends the same midi messages, but I'm not 100% sure. This is what the 1.3 firmware does. From this thread http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846

Version 1.3
    The firmware found in all VCi-100SE controllers that was designed by Ean Golden.

You can tell if you have 1.3 by following these steps.

1) connect your vci-100 to a computer but dont start traktor.

2) Click the button that is at the top right hand corner of the left jog wheel (its next to the filter knob for deck A).

3) If this button's light toggles on and off then you have 1.3 (the same button on the right deck will not toggle on and off.

Here are a few of the changes made in 1.3

general improvements:

* Eliminated the problem where the 4th FX buttons trigger other buttons (cue)
    * added midi in functionality to the loop buttons
    * added a note on to the jog wheel in scroll mode

performance:

* turned the filter knobs into double knobs (0-127 on the left and right side)
    * added a "freeze function" to the bottom of each fader and top of the fx knobs. this sends out a 127 message only at the end of the movement
    * added inverted messages to the faders (this allows an effect to be turned on by turning the fader down- not possible otherwise)
    * added unique values to the FX buttons (these were used for direct FX selection- now added in Traktor Pro)
    This thread has a good midi note layout on a VCI-100
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5893
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x