A Wake Up Call For All You Vinyl Snobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Wake Up Call For All You Vinyl Snobs

Hey guys,
    I guess this is probably a somewhat redundant place to post my article (since all of us accept digital DJing), but I wanted to share my article.
    Any feedback, input, criticism, etc. is really appreciated (especially if you do it on my blog and make it look like people actually read it! - and I've just transfered hosts so there are only the most recent posts for now).

I'm not sure if I'm done with it, but I'm going to post it for now. Read it here:
    http://www.thevlyhouse.com/2010/05/a...u-vinyl-snobs/

Note: This is not an attack towards vinyl or CDJ users. I am not arguing that digital is better than either. This is for those of you who believe you are above digital DJs because you use vinyl, that a SYNC button is cheating, and that using software is killing the art form.
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Read your article, and agree with it for the most part.

But I think it comes down to something else too. It's learn to walk before you can run in a sense. That's how I see it at least. A lot of the vinyl guys have more respect for someone who uses "sync" but also has the ability to spin on CDJ's or Vinyl. It's more of a choice, and less of a "crutch" how they see it.

That being said, that's how I see it somewhat as well. Not that I dislike the sync button, but I feel that learning something starting from the bottom up generally gives you better results in the end. I mean hell, that's why they teach us all that useless math in HS (IMO - Unless you are going into a mathematical profession I have not found it helpful in the least).

It's just a difference in opinion really, and change being what it is.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Dang, blocked at work ... will have to wait till I get home.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Ok, read it and disagree with the implication that 'learning how to hit sync means you don't have to spend years learning to beatmatch' - I play lots of old funk and soul, and stuff based on it, the beat is wandering all over the shop, so you have to learn to listen and adjust. If you're solely played EDM with a totally quantised beat them what you're saying is true, but I don't think it's a dividing line between 'us and them'.

Think the point about 'technology moving on' is appropriate though - some vinyl DJs remind me of the critics of the original cars, whilst they're sat in a coach and horses ...

(coming from someone currently learning the vagueries of playing vinyl on decks as the first step to learning how to scratch properly - the idea of using vinyl as a control surface with a VCI/X1 to control FX & cue points and decks C&D for samples and loops being where I want to end up I think)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Teiresias View Post
    EDM with a totally quantised beat
    Thats wishful thinking on this side of the table. Most of the stuff I get off Beatport drifts like a mother fucker lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bigc View Post
    read your article, and agree with it for the most part.

But i think it comes down to something else too. It's learn to walk before you can run in a sense. That's how i see it at least. A lot of the vinyl guys have more respect for someone who uses "sync" but also has the ability to spin on cdj's or vinyl. It's more of a choice, and less of a "crutch" how they see it.

That being said, that's how i see it somewhat as well. Not that i dislike the sync button, but i feel that learning something starting from the bottom up generally gives you better results in the end. I mean hell, that's why they teach us all that useless math in hs (imo - unless you are going into a mathematical profession i have not found it helpful in the least).

It's just a difference in opinion really, and change being what it is.
    agreed!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Interesting read mate. Good stuff! To be fair i've met a lot of traktor dj's who still cant mix for shit even with gridded and synced tunes. In fact some of them are pretty clueless. This is where some vinyl or cdj experience will pay off, not only with beat matching, but also actual mixing, eq's, levels etc. Beatmatching is only a small part of the job in my opinion phrasing and smooth eqing are a lot more important.
    I also know a few old vinyl dinosaurs but i don't have any arguments with them, nothing but respect actually. Live and let live i say. Let your mixing speak for itself
    Last edited by Jester; 05-20-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

In the end...its whether you rock the floor or not.

Tapes....Vinyls....CD's.....Laptop.

Does not matter to the general crowd.

But I think respect amongst peers (Fellow DJ's) is also important.

They recommend you for gigs....and are part of your network.
    If you are not respected there....you gonna find it tough to get ahead.

Sure....you get the odd HATED person who makes it big....but its usually cuz the feeling to their peers is one of cop-out.

Was just saying to a mate.....i personally would respect a DJ more ....if he knows all the ins and outs. Goes without saying.

If you have only DJed digitally using sync and do it in its most basic form....I say you have missed the WHOLE DJ experience.
    This person's passion needs to shine through....if they had passion....they would WANT the experience and would learn the other forms too.

Look at me.....i have been at it for a good few years....and am STILL wanting to learn to scratch as it is a facet of DJing.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

Your website seems to be down just now, Vly.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    In the end...its whether you rock the floor or not.

Tapes....Vinyls....CD's.....Laptop.

Does not matter to the general crowd.

But I think respect amongst peers (Fellow DJ's) is also important.

They recommend you for gigs....and are part of your network.
    If you are not respected there....you gonna find it tough to get ahead.

Sure....you get the odd HATED person who makes it big....but its usually cuz the feeling to their peers is one of cop-out.

Was just saying to a mate.....i personally would respect a DJ more ....if he knows all the ins and outs. Goes without saying.

If you have only DJed digitally using sync and do it in its most basic form....I say you have missed the WHOLE DJ experience.
    This person's passion needs to shine through....if they had passion....they would WANT the experience and would learn the other forms too.

Look at me.....i have been at it for a good few years....and am STILL wanting to learn to scratch as it is a facet of DJing.
    I get this - there's a bunch of bodies that I get on with really well as mates in and around Bristol, they play the same sort of stuff as me, but the head honcho has 'vinyl only' rules for his main nights. The other guys use Serato on other nights but not on their main one. Fucking irrititating is what it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast