Help me spend $1,000!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me spend $1,000!

Okay! I've got $1,000 to spend on DJ equipment and all I really have right now is a Maya44, Numark Battle Pack (with better needles), and Traktor Pro... I need to get myself a controller!

There are three different setups I have in mind, top being my favorite and bottom being my least at the moment.

Setup1:
    Ohm64
    http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm64.php
    My Turntables
    Audio 4 DJ

Setup2:
    Vci-100SE
    Midi Fighter
    Audio 2 DJ

Setup3:
    Oxygen 8
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Stanton Dascratch
    Audio 2 DJ

Please recommend one of these setups or even type up a different setup for me! Thanks ahead of time for helping me spend my $$$!

how about a vci300 and vfx-1 for 850 shipped sound. then throw in a kontrol x1

Quote Originally Posted by tgunn897 View Post
    how about a vci300 and vfx-1 for 850 shipped sound. then throw in a kontrol x1
    I'm not a huge itch fan... I would translate that into a Vci-100se and NanoKontrol... I heed your advice young padawan, for the force is strong within you. Anyone else? O.o

Door number 2, no hesitation. But I would consider the Arcade and get the MidiFighter later.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Door number 2, no hesitation. But I would consider the Arcade and get the MidiFighter later.

Phil.
    Is it really that epic? O.o

I see and hear good things, but I hate to get a controller just because Ean Golden uses it... I feel as if you can do the same thing with the Ohm64 with a bit of time dedicated to mapping it... I heed your advice though ^.^

P.S. I'm going to be mostly a closet DJ, portability is not an issue

OHM 64 interesting controller..... u can really get creative with all those buttons... though your other 2 options ain't bad either.. interesting setups... really ask yourself though y not just get the new NI controller.. and midi fighter.. to go with ur tables... more control on traktor.. haha maybe is just me I like my tables better.. is the vinyl feel

go with yourstyle ....
    2xTECHS/DJM4/TF/SL3/MBPRO

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    Is it really that epic?
    Epic is a big word. It invokes the idea of last greatness. So from that perspective, yes it is epic. Is the greatest there could be, the answer is easily no.

Your choice really depends on what you want to do. I too have looked at an Ohm64, but without jogs it is not an option for me. My type of tactile control has me on the jogs all the time, pitch bending to keep things in line (I don't like sync) and scrubbing to put the cue where I want it. Further the buttons are not as "playable" as the arcade buttons. I'm sure you could do a LOT with it though, just not for me. And yes, you can map it do almost everything the VCI can do but without jogs, the fader FX stuff is not going to be possible.

SS714SS brings up the classic point of the feel of vinyl, it cannot yet be duplicated, but again not for me.

If you don't know what your style of playing is (and it should never be fixed either, always in a state of flow), the VCI-100 gives you lots of choices. Add to it the DJTT mapping and you can explore all kinds of ways and means to get a mix done. Ean aside, the mapping is good. I don't (maybe better said "can't") mix like Ean and the mapping is great for me. Always finding new ways to do things.

Just some ramblings, you asked :-) Ask some more!

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Just some ramblings, you asked :-) Ask some more!
    Can do...

After looking around I remembered that I could just about the same functionality of the Ohm64 in the Akai APC20, which I would still use in Traktor...

Here's sort of what I'm thinking...
    APC40 for $250 ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Akai-APC40-Abelton-Performance-Controller/dp/B001T9O60Q[/ame])
    Audio 4 DJ for $200
    Midi-Fighter $125
    Stanton Dascratch $200 and...
    Time-encode Vinyl $30

This would all be at the price of $805... And lets say the hours that I'll spend mapping will be worth $45. I can't bring myself to pay $850 for that, I just don't feel as if that the Vci-100 mapping isn't able to mimic the functionality of all of this equipment.

I hate to ask a question like this then all the sudden defend my opinion, but this is what I'm arguing about in my head, because I really want to VCI-100se but I just can't bring my self to do it... I guess what I'm saying is that I would like somebody to convince me that I need this thing (because I want it). -.-

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by SS714SS View Post
    OHM 64 interesting controller..... u can really get creative with all those buttons... though your other 2 options ain't bad either.. interesting setups... really ask yourself though y not just get the new NI controller.. and midi fighter.. to go with ur tables... more control on traktor.. haha maybe is just me I like my tables better.. is the vinyl feel

go with yourstyle ....
    I would like to work vinyl into my setup, but I'm not a turntablist at all, but I do want to have them in my setup for nostalgia/practice and to bring to any house parties where they just want to see turntables. ^.^
    Last edited by tyfurious; 05-22-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I don't think you will get many people trying to convince you on this forum. Lots of opinions, but ultimately your gear choice will be yours.

I'd like to point out one little error in your last gear list: time code vinyl. You need Traktor Scratch Pro for DVS. The A4DJ is good for DVS, but you mentioned in your first post that you had Traktor Pro.

That aside, your list of equipment seems good. You will find lots of people who use all of it and there are mappings for it too. Is it better than the VCI-100? Only if it suits your needs better.

From a "solid" point of view, the VCI beats your list (apart from maybe the DeScratch which I have never had in my hands). Plus you will not need a USB hub to hook up your gear (you might not if your using a desktop). But those are details that might not be important to you.

If that gear better suits your needs and your budget, you won't have gone wrong with your choice.

Phil.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah Phil is right.
    You cannot just buy the timecode and an Audio 4 you must buy an upgrade package to Traktor Scratch Duo or Traktor Scratch Pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast