MBP Hard Drive Question
    Tech Mentor

Default MBP Hard Drive Question

What's up everyone? I just purchased a MBP and I have my software and midi all set up on it I just need to copy over my music collection. I have read in several different places that it is best to have two drives, one for audio software and the other for your music collection.
    Unfortunately I cannot afford another drive right now so I was wondering if partitioning my single drive into a system/software partition, and an audio collection partition would be sufficient? Would this be as effective as using another drive? (Probably not) Is it at least more efficient than as if I had everything on one un-partitioned hard drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RT31784 View Post
    What's up everyone? I just purchased a MBP and I have my software and midi all set up on it I just need to copy over my music collection. I have read in several different places that it is best to have two drives, one for audio software and the other for your music collection.
    Unfortunately I cannot afford another drive right now so I was wondering if partitioning my single drive into a system/software partition, and an audio collection partition would be sufficient? Would this be as effective as using another drive? (Probably not) Is it at least more efficient than as if I had everything on one un-partitioned hard drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

no, pointless really to do that... you should be ok for a while running just off the main HD. Eventually i would suggest getting a fw800 external drive...

You will want an external to use for time machine to backup everything.

I wouldnt recommend gigging with an external drive, its just another thing that can go wrong (cable gets unplugged, hdd failure, ect). I do however recommend using an external drive (or atleast another computer) to backup your important files and music collection.

Tech Wizard

I totally agree with not using an external drive to gig with. Did so long time ago and had a bad FireWire cable. Luckily had a USB cable and was able to make it work through the drive's extra USB connector Plus the external had it's own power suppy cable which just added more cables to the setup.

I just got a bigger internal and bought myself time machine so I could back up wirelessly. Very simple system.

BC

I use a 13" MBP 2.53ghrz Core Duo, 320gb HDD with no issue.
    However make sure in the system preferences>energy saver you disable the "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" as if enabled will cause audio dropouts.
    I agree with the not gigging with an external.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

I have always used an external hd for dj'ing... never once had an issue. I understand why you would say not to, but for me it has never been an issue. I only use my MBP when i am out dj'ing, and I listen to my music in the studio on my other mac. It makes sense for me to use an external, plus if the hd on the MBP went my music would be safe...