A musician and his (giant) ego - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teiresias View Post
    It reminds me of a mates .sig on another forum

"As soon as you think 'im a great dj' you've failed, and more than likely, your sh!t"
    there's a martial arts concept which goes the same way: its called "beginner's mind". Basically it states that you should approach every situation like a beginner; as if you know nothing about the subject and would like to learn whatever you can from x person or situation. As soon as you think you know it all, you stop growing as a person and in your craft.

I'm not sure why musicians are like this seemingly more so than others. To be honest I don't know very many DJ's personally, but from a friend im told that this is indeed very much the case. The lead singer of my old band went to music skool for sound engineering and became like this actually. Even though he wasn't very good at it, he still acted the part. Its something to do with "this is a complicated system you know nothing about, so don't even bother to try and learn" when in reality, yes it is complicated, but anyone with any drive to learn about it can figure it out. So they put on this attitude to dissuade you from encroaching on "their area of expertise" so they can keep feeling special.

Where I see it most happens to be with artists.....but thats a different story heh

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Dont take yourself to seriously is what i say.

Last summer we did a BBQ all day thing at a pub. Had a bunch of the local usual suspects, no egos involved. The name of the collective (posh word for bunch of goofs) was enough to let people know who and what to expect.

The DJ listing on the flyer just said:
    "A Bunch Of DJs playing The Wrong Records In The Wrong Order"

Place was rammed, everyone had fun but some awesome music was played with no egos in the way. And thats how i like it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think the DJ's that like what they do not because it makes them feel good, but because it makes the crowd feel good are just better DJ's and better people.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

It's not unlike your regular workplace - you have those who want to protect their position by talking it up and never sharing for fear they will replace themselves, and those who share with the understanding it will make them better at what they do (as well as benefit their chosen profession). No need to guess which personalities belong to which category.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think the DJ's that like what they do not because it makes them feel good, but because it makes the crowd feel good are just better DJ's and better people.
    i dj because it makes me feel good :\ and i don't see myself as a bad person because of it. i don't do it for the crowd, i do it because i love doing it. personally i think that puts me above those who do it to serve others.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    i dj because it makes me feel good :\ and i don't see myself as a bad person because of it. i don't do it for the crowd, i do it because i love doing it. personally i think that puts me above those who do it to serve others.
    I definitely agree with you hipnotikk. I think DJing, like any art, must come from yourself, your love of music, and not a "selfless desire to serve" the crowd.
    It's funny, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm taking a class at NYU about DJing (I know right...), and there's ~10 people in the class.
    It's ABSOLUTELY INSANE to listen to these kids and their egos (artists and their egos are already tough, but some DJs just take it to a whole new level).
    In this class, nobody wants to listen to each other. It's sad really. Everybody just wants to talk and lecture everyone else, aside for a few. The best (and those who DJ for the right reasons - which I'm afraid to say are few) are those who can listen, and when the time comes, speak through their music.
    The posers are always trying to hard to prove themselves. It's so obvious most of the time it hurts. It's always about being the center of attention because out of the booth, or wherever they're playing, they don't get enough attention.
    I'm a genre elitist, I'm aware of this, but when I hear kids who call themselves DJs talking about Tiesto, Deadmau5 and Benny Benassi as "Techno", it drives me absolutely nuts.

Side note: any aspiring DJ or music lover really should read "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life".
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Tech Guru

Alright after reading some of the recent replies I am going to state what I feel a DJ is and such.

I believe a DJ is one that gets some happiness out of DJing, whether it be serving the crowd, doing it because they love the art of it, or both (<-me...yes I find a sense of happiness of making other people happy on the dancefloor), AND does it as a profession or hobby. But just because you "mixed" at a party using itunes and youtube does not mean you are a DJ. That is like saying that you are a guitarist after strumming on the guitar you found at a party making random non-existent chords. For us (DJs) DJ gear and software are our instruments. I believe we must be familiar on how to use it well to call ourselves a DJ.

Before I continue, let me say one thing: I by no means tell people I am a DJ. Have I mixed at a few parties? Yes. Have I spent countless hours on Traktor? Yes. Does any of that make me a DJ? No. Does having a guitar make you a guitarist? No. It just makes you someone that has a guitar. Unfortunately some people blatantly fail to realize that, especially with DJs. As I said before, I believe one must know how to use DJ gear and, at times, software WELL to call themselves a DJ. Yes, I know all the basics (beatmatching, phrasing, etc.) but I do not find that is enough for me to be a DJ.

Back on topic.

Now, from what I see there are two main groups of people that can see the skill of a DJ:

1. Other DJs. (90%) of the time.

and

2. People that are REALLY into electronic dance music (since DJ gear are to us what guitars are to guitarists). Think of it this way, a group of people really into rock will know a bad solo or skill usage when they hear it at a concert. Same goes for people listening to EDM (minus all the drugged up ravers).

Aside form that, no one else really cares what you do behind that booth as long as you play music. For the most part they are most likely drunk anyways.

In terms of the ego argument:

Yes I have found this to be a problem with some DJs that I know. Sometimes I just shrug it off as them just trying to boost their personal DJ business and "get their name out". But, there is a line between that and having a massive ego.

I Do not know about you guys, but I know a few DJ's that don't seem to know how to turn caps lock off when updating their facebook or fan pages god knows how many times a day with personal promotions of themselves or their businesses.

And sometimes, I think the ones with giant egos are afraid to loose the "empire that they have built".

Example: This one time I posted a mix for the first time on this DJs wall that I met at a party a few weeks before and asked what he thought. Yeah, he gave me some feedback and said that he "never gives feedback so consider this a treat". I said thanks and, the next day or two, he apparently un-friended me. Might have been a mistake, but sometimes I just can't shake the feeling that these powerhouse DJs are afraid of competition (even the small ones).

Luckily, I am glad I know a club in my college town where the DJs have no giant ego, they just mix because they love doing it. Are they good? Yes. Do they make a giant-ass deal about it? No

Sorry if I got a little off topic, just wanted to put my opinion out there.

Gianmarco

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I can honestly say with years of being a guitarist and years of being a DJ and of working in pubs and clubs and having a handful of normal jobs i have met more Douchbags that are DJs than anything else.

DJing just seems to bring out the worst in a person. I know some DJs that should have been strangled at birth.

A bit of adulation and a tiny bit of attention and they thing they are God.
    The worst thing is its usually the shitty DJs that think they are all that.

Im afraid that the publics image of what a DJ is like is formed by the fact that a lot of DJs are c*nts.
    Thats the truth why is it most of the shitty ones do think they are all that . I know a few . I do it because of my love of music and when 2 songs go togehter in that way ( you know the way ) it is magic to my ears. If i never played another gig i would be happy in my garage bedroom where ever as long as i could play .
    MBP13",TSP,S4,F1,2TT,ABELTON 8 SUITE,PRO TOOLS 9.(Music Is My Solice)

Quote Originally Posted by deejaygee View Post
    If i never played another gig i would be happy in my garage bedroom where ever as long as i could play .
    Me too.... with a couple of strippers.

a dj is just someone having fun with pre recorded sound.
    ha lets not over complicate things. say it once say it twice - fun is the name of the game.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast