A musician and his (giant) ego
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A musician and his (giant) ego

A boy and his dog. A musician and his ego. Timeless tales and concepts that define many people.

But seriously, what the hell is it with musicians (especially DJs), and their larger-than-life "I'm better than you" attitude?

Sometimes when I feel too happy I just go on YouTube to read some of the jackass-y things people have to say about my music to knock my happiness down a few notches.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Dusches are everywhere. Not only in the dj scene ...
    Xone 22 -- Kontrol X1 -- A4DJ -- TPro -- 13" MBP

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I can honestly say with years of being a guitarist and years of being a DJ and of working in pubs and clubs and having a handful of normal jobs i have met more Douchbags that are DJs than anything else.

DJing just seems to bring out the worst in a person. I know some DJs that should have been strangled at birth.

A bit of adulation and a tiny bit of attention and they thing they are God.
    The worst thing is its usually the shitty DJs that think they are all that.

Im afraid that the publics image of what a DJ is like is formed by the fact that a lot of DJs are c*nts.

i know its wierd ... maybe they didnt had enought attention when they were young. Sometimes i understand a little when they create their stuff and put some "hard" work into it but when i see ppl playing others music turning 2-3 knobs and pretend there god its just stupid. I was a party last nite(4h live mixing) and a girl came to me and ask "its dosent disturb you that someone took your place and dj" and i just replied "nah hes new and having some FUN thats the essential". Im not looking for fame or money just pure FUN. If you go in this industry for fame,girls and money your starting on the wrong foot.

I know a guy who is just plain dumb(like realy) , have a big ego and lie all the time(he even started to say he was gay get more contacts on the nightlife scene and he had a girlfriend) and thinks hes better than david guetta and last time i heard is set on soundcloud its had TONSS of errors (bad transition , bad beatmatching ect.) and he had an excuse for everything. And on top of this he thinks that paying 16k $ for is production shcool will make him instanly a super rockstar whitout investing any energy or studing. I just hope that he fail and get a big slap in the face.
    Last edited by Kh3MiC4L; 05-23-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    2011 MacBookPro 13" i7
    Traktor Kontrol S4
    Fostex PM0.4 / Sony MDR-7506 / Oxygen 25 v3 / Fast Track Pro / Hs80m /
    I HaZ a BaD EnGliSH

Tech Guru

I think the worst is when they ONLY use caps lock and advertise like every 10 minutes on facebook.

Personally, I go with what my dad has always told me: "Attitude is everything".

Gianmarco

Tech Guru

I fucking adore Henry Rollins, and as a DJ with a sense of humor and realistic approach (while respecting my culture and its roots), I can laugh along with this. It's aimed at the douche bags which really take themselves way too seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRDDOpKaLM

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I can honestly say with years of being a guitarist and years of being a DJ and of working in pubs and clubs and having a handful of normal jobs i have met more Douchbags that are DJs than anything else.

DJing just seems to bring out the worst in a person. I know some DJs that should have been strangled at birth.

A bit of adulation and a tiny bit of attention and they thing they are God.
    The worst thing is its usually the shitty DJs that think they are all that.

Im afraid that the publics image of what a DJ is like is formed by the fact that a lot of DJs are c*nts.
    Also, whole heartedly agree with all of this.

I go and hang out with tons of people in San Francisco and I have a buddy of mine who I do production and DJ work with. Whenever he brings up DJing (in a casual way, not for attention), I turn a deaf ear, and when people ask "oh, so you're a DJ", I usually respond with a humorous "yeah, now and days who the fuck isn't right?", and we have a good laugh. I generally dodge the discussion not because Im embarrassed or ashamed, generally because it's over talked, over hyped, and over glorified.

Whenever anyone praises my DJ "work", I generally take appreciation, but correct them by stating that the artists deserve the credit, all I'm doing is sharing my tastes. Simple as that.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Henry Rollings is a total hero. Obviously for his music and his spoken word stuff and general attitude to politics and life in America but...

He is famous in my small city for making a comment about it on National UK television .

He was being asked about the guns and violence in America and he replied that the UK had some pretty hardcore places as well "like Preston" my city.
    Everyone was amazed cus Preston is just like any town in fact nothing like as bad as Manchester or Liverpool for violence.

Of course his opinion (unknown to the interviewer of the show) was based on the fact the BLACK FLAG had played at a club in Preston years before and Rollins got beaten up pretty bad in the mosh pit.

I spent my teenage years in that club. The club still quotes Henry Rolling on its homepage, its one of their proud moments along with having the Joy Division and the Stone Roses play in a room that holds about 150 people.

"i'm just playing records ma'am"

i think henry rollins is a self important douche bag.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast