VCI-100 Latency

Thread: VCI-100 Latency

Tech Convert

Default VCI-100 Latency

Hey everyone!

Im sorry if this question was already asked, but i didn't find it any where.

The question is about the VCI-100 latency. Every time i use a midi knob(or a button,jog wheel etc.) on my vci-100 i get a small latency before command takes effect in traktor3. It's most felt when i scratch. My audio card latency is 2,5ms, so its not a problem with that. Does every one have this latency? Or do i have something screwed up...

Laptop hardware:
    core 2 duo 2,26ghz
    2gig ram

Audio card:
    external Numark dj I/O

Thanks for all of your answers,
    Urosh.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by UROSH View Post
    Hey everyone!

Im sorry if this question was already asked, but i didn't find it any where.

The question is about the VCI-100 latency. Every time i use a midi knob(or a button,jog wheel etc.) on my vci-100 i get a small latency before command takes effect in traktor3. It's most felt when i scratch. My audio card latency is 2,5ms, so its not a problem with that. Does every one have this latency? Or do i have something screwed up...

Laptop hardware:
    core 2 duo 2,26ghz
    2gig ram

Audio card:
    external Numark dj I/O

Thanks for all of your answers,
    Urosh.
    play with the latency settings untill you get perfect.....thats not a vci issue is a numark dj io problem

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

pull the latency on your card back to around 10ms and see what happens with it. Really, your latency can be a lot higher before it gets noticeable.

Also, check drivers and USB cables and all :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Its not the sound cards problem! It has latency of 2,5ms. And the vci acts the same even if i use laptops default sound card. Your post doesnt not help me at all, my latency problem comes from VCI-100 --> Traktor 3 and not from Traktor 3 ---> Speakers.

Any one else gor some ideas??

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    pull the latency on your card back to around 10ms and see what happens with it. Really, your latency can be a lot higher before it gets noticeable.

Also, check drivers and USB cables and all :-)
    Ok I'll try. thanks
    ------------------------------------
    Well i did as you said, but the latency just gets bigger. Its not a problem with my soundcard or drivers, because when i turn a knob in traktor the change is instant. But when i make a change with my vci it takes about 20ms to change in traktor... Its not a big latency but its just enugh to interfere with my mixes
    Last edited by UROSH; 11-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.

What is latency?

Latency occurs with any Audio system that utilizes the computer's CPU for its signal processing. This is the small amount of time it takes the card to carry an input, process the information and get it back out to the outputs. This latency can be reduced to a level that is unnoticeable.

Latency in MIDI is best recognised as the time it takes an instruction from your keyboard hammering to be processed, and sent out to your ears.

Latency times vary between systems and sound cards and is usually in large part down to the midi drivers... So a trip to your sound card manufacturers' website for a check of the latest drivers is always a good start if you're suffering this problem.

Latency varies quite wildly from an un-noticeable 0.8ms (or less) up to...

The thing is, as long as an instruction has to be processed in any way there's always gonna be a lag, it's just a question of at what point does it become physically noticeable to alter our playing behaviour... and we're quite forgiving!...

But with digital electronics it's different as the only way of coping with unpredictability is havin a buffer to rely on whilst whatever in the chain is (hopefully) sorting itself out.

Buffer is basically akin to the time it takes you to breath in air, process it, and then expel it again.

The more able your computer processor and internal components are, the less buffer needed. More usually than not, an audio editor will have an option to vary the buffer times - It's simply a matter of trial and error to try and get the minimal buffer size without drops in sound output, which usually means the buffer is too small.

So, buffer is good... IF, there's neither too much, nor too little!... and that's the bugger of it if your system isn't able to provide safe passage and throughput of the signals due to processor speed or load...

There could be several internal components requiring it's own "private buffer" requirements to run at optimum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This means.. your problem is NOT your VCI-100!
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin