looking to finally buying my own mixer--which one?!

Default looking to finally buying my own mixer--which one?!

should i go with the Xone 4d or a djm800? i like that i can use the 4d with my software (i currently mix in Ableton but i want to switch to Traktor) but i feel it might be a little excessive to take to gigs. if i had my own night i would be ok with it, but i dj with some other guys and i'm sure they would miss some of the fx on the 800. plugging in the Xone into the 800 just seems like a waste lol.

on the other hand i like the 800 because because it is the standard. and if i were to start my own night at a bar/club that doesnt have a mixer installed i'd be prepared(lots of clubs around here ask you to bring in all the equipment).

i am buying two black 1200s from someone on the forum and plan to use two time codes/real vinyl and some midi action. the 4d would work perfectly with all of that.

then again, i could just get the xone dx and let Itch handle the external TT if i use real vinyl and not time code.

any input would great appreciated =DDDD

Tech Guru

The 4D and DJM-800 are totally different beasts. One is a utilitarian production/dj console, and the other is a club standard DJ mixer which has some MIDI capability. Both are great products, but with different applications in many respects.

Theres also a large price difference. You can score a DJM-800 used on craigslist or GC for $1000 flat most of the time, as opposed to the 4D which is a $2000 beast.

If you go with a DJM-800, you'll also need a sound card. Frankly, if you don't plan on doing extensive production and performance aspects with your DJ sets, I'd just go with the DJM-800, run a MIDI to USB cable from it to your laptop, and route a sound card into it. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I'd just go with the DJM-800, run a MIDI to USB cable from it to your laptop, and route a sound card into it.
    Like for instance the A8DJ you would get when you buy TSPto use timecode with.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

^^what he said.

DJM800 and an X1 so that you have a more modular system.
    You can gig with the laptop and X1 (light gig bag) if you use the club mixer and then you have an excellent mixer at home or for the road if needed.

The 4D is a nice all in one solution but its way too expensive and not very practical for gigging. Im not saying its a bad choice at all but id go 800/X1 myself.

The DJM800 is an excellent mixer, i use one and im a lover despite hating the DJM600.

Hey Karlos. What does the color do on that DJM-800? Do you use it?
    Does that harmonic thing work?

Nevermind Karlos. Thanks. Saw the Youtube video. It's three filters and a key shifter. Traktor can do all that too.

well, my dj sets are a combination of live production and a standard dj set. i use ableton so there's a lot of stuff going on at once. switching to traktor would be more for when i do smaller gigs. i plan on keeping ableton as my main rig lol =D

it will be at least a month before i can actually purchase, i'll keep you guys posted! so far djm is in the lead lol

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I like the DJM800 and X1 combo.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Have you thought of the Ecler Evo 5 at all? I know it's something you may be interested if you are looking at that level of mixer. I've only really heard good things about it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter