Please suggest me gear with this given budget.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Please suggest me gear with this given budget.

So I have decided to get gear and decided to go with Traktor. Note: I want ot mix AND produce.

First off, I am the kind of person that wants to start off with what is the best value for the money, and can expand my knowledge and skill the most.

I am looking at a possible 1200-1300 budget. Assuming I already have a laptop and ableton to use, I need the following:

-Controller I have been looking at DJTTs VCI-100 SE and Arcade version. Obviously there is a big price gab between the two. I have seen many vids on both and really like what I see. Would anyone recommend anything else (or these) and why?

-Speakers/Monitirs - Currently I have a basic computer speaker set with a subwoofer, so I am looking for something that can do me well and (maybe) use at a house party.

-Production gear - looking for something that will help me produce/remix music well. Now in this area I know barely nothing of. I "hear" akai keyboards are good, but then again I have no idea about this.

-Good, reliable, and DURABLE headsets. I am currently in the process of skullcandy shipping me my free second replacement pair of GI's, so i ned a good brand.

-Everything in between. I.e cables and sound cards to interface everything together.

I ask TWO things from you all.

One: a suggested setup that only revolves around mixing.

and

two: a suggested setup that revolves around a balance of mixing and producing

thanks

Gianmarco

Tech Convert

Lol Skull candy is CRAP. But you probably know that by now
    Anyway, as a recently new owner of the dj tt vci-100 SE, i can tell you that i'm extremely pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone whos into the controller thing. You'll notice the build quality is first rate as soon as you pick it up and it has probably the best jog wheels in the industry. I haven't used the arcade edition yet, but it looks very fun. I'm not sure that the 300 dollar gap is really worth it, but had it been a little closer in price to the SE, i would have grabbed it. As far as production gear there's Apple Logic, Massive, Reason, Fruity loops, Ableton, Cubase, Sonar, Sony Acid, etc.. I don't produce but i've heard good stuff about all of them. Headphones are easy. Technics makes a very good pair, Sony obviously has a couple of great ones too. Ditch the computer speakers and look at some KRKs. They make very good quality monitors that aren't gonna bankrupt you.
    http://www.krksys.com/index.php
    http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...o_rpdh1200.asp

If your going to be using Traktor, The vci-100 is the best controller for the job as it was built for traktor. Or vice versa i cant remember.
    good luck man.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    -Good, reliable, and DURABLE headsets. I am currently in the process of skullcandy shipping me my free second replacement pair of GI's, so i ned a good brand.
    That'd be Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. Great sounding, durable, light, replacable parts, sensibly priced.

my vote is the korg zero 8.

http://www.djtoys.com/korg-zero8-8-c...ro-8-html.html

if you can learn to love ableton, this thing will be perfect.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

If it were me, I'd buy the relatively cheaper stuff just to get started: M-Audio BX8a speakers ($500), an Oxygen8 keyboard ($120), Numark DJ io soundcard ($120), B stock VCI 100 + DJTT firmware mod kit + overlay ($460), should leave you enough for some $100 headphones.

I have all those items (plus a few more) and they suit my amateur needs well. I think your biggest investment should be speakers. It took me a few failures with crappy speakers that had small woofers to realize it's one item you can't really skimp on. Other than some basic gear to start, it's mainly about learning and practicing.

Tech Guru

Dont get the DJio, get the Audio 2 dj. Could try to find a used VCI for cheap, then upgrade the fw and the overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    Dont get the DJio, get the Audio 2 dj. Could try to find a used VCI for cheap, then upgrade the fw and the overlay.
    Probably good advice. The DJ io really is the bottom of the barrel. I have issues playing Flash audio with it.

VCI-100 (Craigslist), AUDIO2 (free upgrade Traktor DUO), and overlay from DJTT +firmware kit (or hook up with someone that has it)
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - feasible, thanks ill make it an option.

my vote is the korg zero 8 - budget breaker, im probably going to be more into mixing than producing/remixing

M-Audio BX8a speakers - seems nice but some of the reviews scare me, any other suggestions?

Oxygen8 keyboard - seems nice, would this be for producing?

Numark DJ io soundcard - a friend of mine uses the 50$ version, but im skeptical, might just go for the audio 2 or 4.

B stock VCI 100 + DJTT firmware mod kit + overlay - can someone explain what this is? whats b stock? and what overlay?

thanks

Gianmarco

Tech Mentor

Akai MPK61

1 DJ tech Kontrol One, 1 Kontrol X1, and a X Session Pro.

Audio 4 DJ w TP.

Put the rest in the bank.

And Ive had many comp speakers rock a house party with 50 people.

Look at Destructo, he rocks crowds with thousands of people with $350 worth of dj equipment
    Last edited by TABS; 05-25-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast