Mixing externally with ddm4000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Mixing externally with ddm4000

so i ordered mine.
    i have an NI Audio2.
    i understand that if i want to mix more than one channel into the ddm, then i would need something like the audio4 or audio8, right?

i mostly do house parties, but when i play @ clubs its usually something w less than 400 ppl.

i like the fx and understand that there's way more control through traktor than mixing externally... but:

is there an advantage in sound quality with the ddm in mixing externally?\
    would there be a sound quality difference between using the ddm externally w something like the audio8 vs the audio2 and midi?

i'm confused... lol?
    i just dont like how distorted my sound gets when i turn up the levels when mixing internally.

Dude you can def use the audio 2 and mix externally ( only 2 decks tho..), if you don't plan to use timecode there's no need for an audio 4... although if you're gonna go for the 4 decks externally, then you'll need the audio 8...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

+1 ^^all the above^^

Tech Guru

oh is that because i can use channels A AND B to route sound to the ddm, and then use the cue on the ddm??

Tech Guru

if so, then that's awesome news that i dont need a new card for 2 deck mixing.
    i'd still really like to mix more than 2 decks though..

i guess i'll just practice my 4 deck mixing more, and Then worry about 4 channel cards.

but would i still be able to mix 4 decks w the audio 2? like 2 internal and 2 external or something? idk.. lol im a traktor newb.

Dude if you want to mix 4 decks internally, I'll suggest you ( since the ddm is a midi controller too ) to map the the eq's, volume fader, transport functions for the 4 decks to the mixer and change in the audio preferences in traktor to internal, in this way you only gonna need 1 channel of the audio 2 as master and the other one as monitor....and don't forget to change all the midi options in the ddm ( holding the button labeled as ''control setup'' )

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    i just dont like how distorted my sound gets when i turn up the levels when mixing internally.
    this is called clipping, and should be avoided at all costs.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

I prefer mixing internally because you get more MIDI controls. The only difference would be the type of EQ's. Traktor can emulate different kinds while the DDM just has a standard EQ type.

To answer your question about sound quality, it first beings with the quality of the song itself. Something like the Audio2DJ can bring out the full quality of a standard mp3 with a minimum setting of just 44.1khz. But your computer's soundcard can do just that as well.

Whether your mixing internally or externally, it's all really a matter of preference an workflow. And just on a side note, the most you can do with an external mixer setup with the equipment that you have is a 3 deck setup: A and B going through the Audio2, and C can come out the headphone jack on your computer with a 1/8" to RCA cable.

You can mix 4 decks no matter what MIDI you have, it's really just a matter of whether you want to mix them internally, or have them routed to each channel on your 4-channel mixer. Again, it's really just preference and workflow, however it's always good to be able to at least know how to set it up and know how to use each type of setup.
    Macbook, Novation Ultranova, Novation Launchpad x2, Behringer BCD3000, Allen & Heath Xone 1D x2 (I'm trying to sell these right now), Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.7 (It's Legal)
    http://www.facebook.com/dynamicsmusic
    http://soundcloud.com/dynamicsmusic

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    the DDM just has a standard EQ type.
    the kill switches are freq. adjustable on the unit itself.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

Yeah. But I was just talking about the EQ knobs of the hardware relative to what the EQ knobs in Traktor can emulate. (Classic, Allen & Heath, etc.)
    Macbook, Novation Ultranova, Novation Launchpad x2, Behringer BCD3000, Allen & Heath Xone 1D x2 (I'm trying to sell these right now), Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.7 (It's Legal)
    http://www.facebook.com/dynamicsmusic
    http://soundcloud.com/dynamicsmusic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast