iTunes Tip

Thread: iTunes Tip

Default iTunes Tip

I found an article on Mac Life that might help some of you out. I know that the arrows in iTunes always pissed me off by taking me to the iTunes store instead of showing the artist like it used to, but there is a way to restore it back to the old way.

Whole article here

iTunes has a handy feature that lets you click on a little arrow next to a track in your iTunes Library and jump to the corresponding song, artist, or album in the iTunes Store (depending on which column your clicked arrow was in). In previous versions of iTunes, you could hide these arrows by unchecking Show Links To The iTunes Store in the preferences.

But in iTunes 8, the arrows reappear regardless of what choice you made in previous versions. The preference to get rid of them is actually still available, but it’s now hidden.

You can disable the arrows by launching the Terminal and typing:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool false

Replace false with true to bring the arrows back again.
    If iTunes is running, you will need to quit and relaunch it for your changes to take effect.

But instead of disabling the arrows, you might want to consider changing how they work. If you Option-click an arrow, it takes you to the related music within your own music library instead of the iTunes Store. So, for example, if you Option-click Jack Johnson’s name, you’ll jump to the Jack Johnson music in your library.

But you can reverse the functionality of the arrows so that a normal click shows you results from your own library, and the Option-click takes you to the iTunes Store.

To do this, launch the Terminal and type:defaults write com.apple.iTunes invertStoreLinks -bool yes

Replace yes with no to make the arrows function normally again. Again, if iTunes is running, be sure to quit and relaunch it for your changes to take effect.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

gr8!
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Ooooooooh, sweet.

Thanks Phaidon!
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

$$$$$$

I see the arrows now. You have to select a track. Why does this bother you? I never even noticed them ever before. And I have never accidentally clicked on it before.

"iTunes always pissed me off by taking me to the iTunes store instead of showing the artist like it used to"

What do you mean "Show the artist" ???
    Last edited by loverocket; 05-28-2010 at 04:41 PM.

The older versions of Itunes would jump to your collection of the artist you clicked on. I found this to be quite useful when you passed by a song and said, "hmmm, I want to listen to some John Coltrane", but instead of having to type out his name into the finder window, you can just click the arrow next to his name and see all the songs that you have. Just a preference that was lost in the constant upgrades to iTunes that I happened to want to restore, and found a tip to do so that wasn't staring the end user in the face. I have absolutely zero use for seeing what other tracks an artist has on the iTunes store, which is the default function of the arrow.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2