Sound card help

Thread: Sound card help

Default Sound card help

So I am looking at upgrading my sound card from a Numark DJ IO. I am looking at Native Instrument sound cards either the Audio 2 or Audio 4.

Am I correct in saying it would be pointless upgrading from the DJ IO to the Audio 2? Are the Audio 4's the best bang for buck or should I be looking elsewhere?

thanks
    http://mixcloud.com/audioaerosol
    Black MacBook 2.4ghz 750gb HD, 8gb RAM
    XDJ Aero & Rekordbox

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It wouldn't be pointless as the sound quality coming out of the Audio 2 would be better that the DJ IO. It really depends on how you plan to use the card though. If your planning to go Traktor Scratch down the road you'll need at least the audio 4. Tell us a little more about your plans and we can help you.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

+1

First decide just what inputs and outputs you need, whether you want a Midi io as well (for devices like the firefox), and how much control you need via the hardware (gain rotaries, switchable inputs etc).

Once you have an idea of what you need, then its easier to narrow it down.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

thanks for your help guys. TBH I'll probably be sticking with my VCI-100 SE for a while. I do see myself going down the DVS route eventually but can't afford it at the moment. I am also starting to do a little bit of production with Ableton so am looking for something good for production as well as compact and portable to take to gigs.

I wouldn't say I need that much control from the hardware as I have the clubs mixer and VCI to control levels. I'm pretty restricted on levels at home as well as I live in a flat. Although saying that like most of you I am a bit of a perfectionist in getting the sound just right.
    XDJ Aero & Rekordbox

I have an A2DJ which is great for playing out: small, super easy to connect and the on-board gain control of both outputs is really useful. Plus the audio quality is right up there.

But for production you will likely want some inputs and maybe midi. For this purpose I have an Audio Kontrol 1. Same great sound but you have two inputs (L and R or two mono) for mic or line (no TTs!!) with phantom power for the mic. Plus you have balanced outs and full output control on the face. Great beginner production tool that you can DJ with too.

Either way you can't go wrong.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think in your case getting an Audio 2 now and then planning on getting another sound card down the road to suit production or DVS needs would be the best bet. When you do get another, larger, sound card you'll really appreciate the smaller size of the Audio 2 and will still use it so it won't be a waste of money.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

So would an Audio 4 cater for both my Production and DJ needs?
    XDJ Aero & Rekordbox

Tech Guru

You could get an Audio Kontrol over the Audio 4, cause it has Ins that are more suited towards production.

Tech Mentor

I've used a few different interfaces and I can honestly say (and many more on here will testify I'm sure) that the presonus firebox is the best bang-for-buck out there without spending more money than you want to. And having used both it and an audio kontrol 1, I can safely say it absolutely trounces all over the kontrol 1.

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    I've used a few different interfaces and I can honestly say (and many more on here will testify I'm sure) that the presonus firebox is the best bang-for-buck out there without spending more money than you want to. And having used both it and an audio kontrol 1, I can safely say it absolutely trounces all over the kontrol 1.
    Not trying to pick a fight, I'm genuinely interested, how does it trounce the AK1? After hearing the Xone DX soundcard on my speaker system, I hear quite an increase in sound quality over the AK1. But I'm interested to find out how you would judge one being better than the other (please just don't quote specs).

Phil.
    Last edited by pilmat; 05-27-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad