Quant weirdness in Traktor Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quant weirdness in Traktor Pro

So I feel like this might be a noobish question, but sometimes when I'm using traktor and quant is OFF, pressing my cue points will still always start to play in time with the other deck.

I don't know if there's a setting I'm missing or if it maybe has something to do with the master and sync with the horizontal line through it buttons..I don't completely understand those.

I upped a screen recording @ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cwvPIv_l_U

In the video I'm just pressing cue's on my controller randomly, then I turn quant on and off but it doesn't change anything.

Also this is the latest update for mac - I think 1.2.6 or whatever.
    Any help would be grand

Without playing the video, I see that you are Synced. This is telling the decks to play in time. So the deck you are trying to play cue points on will ONLY play in time with the deck it is synced to. Just turn off Sync.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Hmm ok. I guess there must be a bug in my mapping then that turns it on because it only seems to happen every now and then. Thanks for that.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Click the metronome symbol under the FX pane in the upper left and tell us what your settings are there.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Ahhhh deck master in auto perhaps? Nothing else is selected. I assume if I put it in manual it will never sync the decks? Though it doesn't explain why it happens sporadically..

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Do all of your songs have a beat marker? If there's no marker and the clock is set to auto the ones that don't have the marker won't sync.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Leave the deck master in Auto, it's good like that.

I think your sporadic problem is something else. Do you use the Sync button to match the BPMs of the new song to the old one? It looks like it because the deck that is Master has the Sync with a slash through it. If you do this and the two songs have good beat grids (what photojojo was talking about), the songs will be synced. But if one has an odd beat grid, then they will not be synced, just the BPMs will be matched.

If you spent time doing all your beat grids, the songs will always be synced, else if you leave Traktor do your beat grids automatically, the sync will seem sporadic. Just remember that Traktor is only about 60% efficient at beat gridding, so songs that do sync might not actually play in time!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Not that I know of.. excuse my ignorance but is that similar to a beat grid? To be honest I haven't delved very deeply into using that shit, just been putting in cue points and nothing else.
    I know it's probably ideal to have things gridded and such but I've never really had a problem with syncing.
    Is there an easy way to clear the tracks that do have a beat marker?

Hey sorry Pilmat I was writing my response the same time you were..

I try not to sync tracks using a sync button, but I do sometimes use it to get them bpms exact as I have a relatively short tempo fader on my controller. I've tried putting the percentages down in settings to make it more accurate, but then obviously if you have a big gap (probably more than 10bpm) on mine, the fader doesn't reach the distance, and the last thing I want to have to do is go into settings in the middle of things.

If I beat grid everything will the cues always stay in time whether I hit the button in time or not? It's obviously pretty limiting to the way things sound if this is the case.. For instance in the video i'm mashing the buttons fast but they only play when traktor deems it to be in time which is annoying..

Thanks heaps for your help btw. Would you suggest I beat grid everything or nothing? I think removing the grids is probably more suited for me so cues don't automatically play in time. That's boring anyway imo, beat matching is more fun

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Only Quant forces Tracks to start on time. If your bpms are incorrect then the tracks wont match if they are beatgridded.

Just for clarity Traktors beatgrids are 100% all of the times. Mathematically they cannot be out. A beat grid is a measured grid that follows true bpm. Its Traktors bpm analysis that is questionable. To get your gridded tracks super tight you need to have 100% bpms.

Thats why i always manually set beat grids.

Quant can be a pain if your playing variable bpm tracks or you just havent beatgridded your tracks.

On the video Deck B is in 'waiting' mode. Deck A is synced but is it synced to Deck B or Master Clock. If its synced to Master Clock and the bpms of the tracks arent 100% quant will simple mess your mix up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast