bpm, what impact does it have?
    Tech Mentor

Default bpm, what impact does it have?

im listening to my collection of songs, and i see bpm's of 125-128 ... i mean are they suppose to give a different vibe? is the 125 better than the 128? is the 125 going to make them fall asleep or stay energetic? is the 128 going to wear the crowd out?

is there a such thing as "i wonder what the perfect bpm for this crowd is? -- "i wonder if this bpm will make the crowd dance or feel the music instead of that bpm?"

i know that certain bpm's would represent either deep, minimal or tech house. but i don't want to know about that, i want to know about the vibe and the impact bpm has on vibe. not the effect bpm has on genre. but more like towards the dance floor. maybe it would be easier to get a hold of the crowd with a 126 bpm rather than 132 ? playing the same 10 tracks but with 2 different bpm's 126 vs 132 for example. maybe a 132 would give a rave feeling which people at a house party wouldn't be familiar with and become uncomfortable with the pace/vibe of the songs? idk. you know. but i found this to be interesting tho

thanks for your input
    Last edited by cutflow; 05-31-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Banned

I think the bpm has more to do with how you approach producing a track than anything else. Tracks with a lower bpm have more room to breath and you can add more elements to the track with out it sounding to busy but still allow it to have a groove. But when you get to higher bpms, the more elements you add into it the more it starts to sound like a blob and you can appreciate all the finer points of the production with out all elements getting in the way and sounding busy.

As far as how they affect the dance floor, it doesn't really matter what bpm your set is in. What does matter is how you program your set start to finish.

I've heard DJ's play sets sets had a 100bpm the start of the night and ramp it up to 110bpms by the end, and the place was jumping. On the other hand, I've seen DJ's play at 130bpms and the place was dead.

With that being said, I try not to get caught up in what bpm a certain track is in but I'm not going to take a 105 bpm track and pitch it up to 125 and vice versa, still have to be aware of what you're doing and what bpm range you're playing in.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    im listening to my collection of songs, and i see bpm's of 125-128 ... i mean are they suppose to give a different vibe? is the 125 better than the 128? is the 125 going to make them fall asleep or stay energetic? is the 128 going to wear the crowd out?

is there a such thing as "i wonder what the perfect bpm for this crowd is? -- "i wonder if this bpm will make the crowd dance or feel the music instead of that bpm?"

i know that certain bpm's would represent either deep, minimal or tech house. but i don't want to know about that, i want to know about the vibe and the impact bpm has on vibe. not the effect bpm has on genre. but more like towards the dance floor. maybe it would be easier to get a hold of the crowd with a 126 bpm rather than 132 ? playing the same 10 tracks but with 2 different bpm's 126 vs 132 for example. maybe a 132 would give a rave feeling which people at a house party wouldn't be familiar with and become uncomfortable with the pace/vibe of the songs? idk. you know. but i found this to be interesting tho

thanks for your input
    You are over-thinking this. BPMs have no large effect on the crowrd.

Take the following three tracks for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwzRLgJorYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_J0EO5-tSY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpUbaqrOCM

All are pretty heavy songs that, if played correctly and at the right time, will pretty much blow any party or club up

One notable difference: they are all very different BPMs, the first is 123, the second 128, and the last 133. It matters more at times what the actual song sounds like.

Gianmarco

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    I think the bpm has more to do with how you approach producing a track than anything else. Tracks with a lower bpm have more room to breath and you can add more elements to the track with out it sounding to busy but still allow it to have a groove. But when you get to higher bpms, the more elements you add into it the more it starts to sound like a blob and you can appreciate all the finer points of the production with out all elements getting in the way and sounding busy.

As far as how they affect the dance floor, it doesn't really matter what bpm your set is in. What does matter is how you program your set start to finish.

I've heard DJ's play sets sets had a 100bpm the start of the night and ramp it up to 110bpms by the end, and the place was jumping. On the other hand, I've seen DJ's play at 130bpms and the place was dead.

With that being said, I try not to get caught up in what bpm a certain track is in but I'm not going to take a 105 bpm track and pitch it up to 125 and vice versa, still have to be aware of what you're doing and what bpm range you're playing in.
    hrm house music on 100-110 bpm. i never heard anythin in those range. i think what i should basically do is for this week is focus on what bpm gives me that "damn i like the vibe here" thing. i loaded up all my songs and so far 130, 129, 128 bpm, i'm feeling like ok...a little too fast....gets a little boring, annonying....and these are my favorite tracks as well. so i gotta find my bpm. the one that i'm like damn , this shit is tight. thats what i need to find, is that vibe. thanks for your input tho

Banned

Think you need to stop worrying about the bpm and just start looking for good music, and once you start DJing you'll find your groove. Should let it be more of an organic process and something you can grow with.

The difference between 125 and 128 is negligible and wont have virtually any impact on the feel of the track. The general feeling of the song will have much more of an impact on if these tracks are going to send your crowd to sleep or not over the BPM. You will be able to mix any of those tracks in with one another (key, genre and the feel of feel of the track permitting) and it will sound good

Different BPMs means different speeds. That's it. To have a smooth mix from one tack to another you generally will need to start with having the two tracks run at the same speed. But as far as higher BPM vs. Better Crowd Response, it a matter of feeling the vibe of the room. In a lot of cases the best track to spin isn't always the 130 BPM house tracks, but 70 BPM hip-hop or funk tracks. But to explain BPMs the best way I learned it, follow this dude on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIt0ola2HOQ

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

A good song is a good song regardless of what the BPM is and the BPM difference between two good songs could be drastic.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    The difference between 125 and 128 is negligible and wont have virtually any impact on the feel of the track. The general feeling of the song will have much more of an impact on if these tracks are going to send your crowd to sleep or not over the BPM. You will be able to mix any of those tracks in with one another (key, genre and the feel of feel of the track permitting) and it will sound good
    +1 on that..

if i'm playing a longer set, begining "early" (like 10-12pm) i usually start with lower bpm-tracks (around 120-128, some deep/funky house) and then gradually increase the bpm when chaning the genre to elektro/fidget/nu rave to around 130-135. maybe throw in some dubstep at 140.
    i think the crowd doesn't realize this, but it's a kinda chill slow start getting faster over time, but it really depends on the music you're spinning..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst