And the PC/Mac debate rages on. - Page 5

View Poll Results: Which should I get and why?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC

16 30.19%
  • Mac

37 69.81%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by re8 View Post

So is only 1 mouse button.
    What are you talking about? I've been right clicking with macs for years. One finger, right side of the mouse. You set up a secondary mouse button in preferences.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tim_vicious View Post
    A small preface: I'm a graphic designer, started back in 2000 with a PC and bought a first generation Imac, second gen Imac, and now i'm still using my Powerbook G4. Through all the mac's I've owned in 10 yrs. (that's right only 3, 3 computers in 10 yrs) I had one problem with my Powerbook which was due to a memory RAM failure, not the computer.

1. Macs are entirely more stable than PC's (i've had serato and traktor glitch and crash on pc's with other dj's on gigs using them) Programs seem to run smoother visually as well, anything with level analyzers or gain visuals, waveforms, all run smoother and load faster.

2. Tech Support - Good luck having Dell, or HP help you with a problem. When i had my memory error I was having issues with programs crashing, took it into an Apple store, they ran a FREE diagnostic, told me what was wrong, offered me the ram and I said I would get it elsewhere. Walked out without a bill and a smile from the genius bar guy.

3. Mac's are somewhat of an industry standard. Not everyone uses them, but anyone who has the money will splurge on one.

Do you need a Mac to dj with? No. Should you get one if you can? Yes.

ok so u have made me even want a mac more, the quesiton now is, which to get.

What I am going to use it for: Mixing producing. meaning ill have traktor as well as ableton in there.

LIGHT gaming: pretty much just starcraft 2...ill run bootcamp if i want to play maybe team fortress 2 (steam) but i DOUBT ill play any more than 3 games

I can convince my parents to let me get the macbook (900$ with the student discount...and a free ipod touch that i can sell fo $150) and i MIGHT (<-bigg ass might) be able to push as far as the cheapest 15 inch macbook pro (core i5 2.4 ghz, 4 gigs, 320 GB hdd) which would be 1550$ new (after the 100$ student discount and selling the free ipod touvh for 150$)

but the wuestion I have now: do i really need to go as far as that macbook pro? or will I be fine with a 13 inch macbook (which uses core 2 duo) or even the regular macbook?

thanks again, ill provide additional info if needed

-Gianmarco
    Last edited by GPS; 06-02-2010 at 11:40 AM.

the 13" macbook pro with a decent amount of ram is enough for most production applications and everything you could reasonably want to do as a DJ. Start at either 2 or 4GB of ram and upgrade to 8GB when/if it starts to feel sluggish.

I'm running Ableton live with 4 "deck" channels, 2 effects busses, each with about 15-20 patches, a synth with 5 patches, and a drum machine…on a Macbook c2duo 2.16 with 2GB of ram and one of the crappy SSDs.

It's fine.

I've done production projects in Ableton Live and Pro Tools LE on this same laptop before. No issues. At various times, I've used SSL and demo'd Traktor Pro. No issues.

Any currently available Mac will work. If you're gaming, the 13" MBP isn't that much more than the normal Macbook, and the video card is probably worth it. Also, Steam is about to come out if it hasn't already, so that will take care of at least one of your games (you won't need to dual-boot).

If it means anything, my next computer is going to be a 13" MBP, and I'm going to buy it the day this one runs out of warranty (November of 2011). I'm not even going to shop around. The only thing that would change my mind is apple coming out with a 12" non-widescreen macbook pro, 'cuz I'm sick of the widescreen and just have a hard on for 12" laptops.

only real diff between the Macbook Pro and the MacBook 13" is that the Pro has Firewire Port and graphics card.

I have the 13" Aluminium....and its fucking GREAT!

Having a whale of a time.

Had the 13" Macbook Black before this. I gigged with it....and was AWESOME too.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    only real diff between the Macbook Pro and the MacBook 13" is that the Pro has Firewire Port and graphics card.

I have the 13" Aluminium....and its fucking GREAT!

Having a whale of a time.

Had the 13" Macbook Black before this. I gigged with it....and was AWESOME too.
    see thats the other thing bugging me aside from the processor, the resolution

im planning on running both ableton and Traktor Pro (and use 4 decks every now and then)

is the resolution of the 13 inch macbook (i tihnk its 1280*800) enough for 4 decks and still some view for Browsing? or am i overthinking this?

-gianmarco

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    see thats the other thing bugging me aside from the processor, the resolution

im planning on running both ableton and Traktor Pro (and use 4 decks every now and then)

is the resolution of the 13 inch macbook (i tihnk its 1280*800) enough for 4 decks and still some view for Browsing? or am i overthinking this?

-gianmarco
    The resolution wont be anywhere near enough for both Traktor and Ableton - its pushing it with 4 decks even.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    The resolution wont be anywhere near enough for both Traktor and Ableton - its pushing it with 4 decks even.
    well my laptop is maxed at 1024*768, with 4 decks on as well as internal mixer, thers enough room to see just about 3 rows of the track browser,

wouldnt it be better with the 13 inches' 1280*800? also im not going to run both at the same time, its jsut that i plan to use them on the mac

-gianmarco

When I am traveling I use my macbook pro 13" to work on productions. Basically I start things or work on them for a bit. Then I bring them into the studio later on... But years ago I was using my 15"mbp for all my productions. It really just depends on how many vst/au's you are using and how many channels etc... And I am talking about I did this when I could only max out my mbp at 3gb of ram. I know plenty of BIG producers who only use their MBP to produce on, and they use it for other things as well!

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    its pushing it with 4 decks even.
    not one bit...

I have both 15" and 13" and i prefer the 13" for Traktor and using in clubs... plus iprefer to not see any of the browser when I have all 4 decks going... I hate the fact that any of the browser is showing.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    not one bit...

I have both 15" and 13" and i prefer the 13" for Traktor and using in clubs...
    i hopw im not asking for much, but do u think u can take a screen shot of what it looks like in all 4 modes? as in 2 deck internal, 2 deck external, 4 deck internal, and 4 deck external to see what the resolution does for it?

i would love to see what a 1280*800 resolution makes it look like

this would help TREMEMDOUSLY!

thanks!

-gianmarco

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast