And the PC/Mac debate rages on. - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which should I get and why?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC

16 30.19%
  • Mac

37 69.81%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

I'm a huge PC nerd and everyone knows it. I've NEVER, in a 12-15 year long career in audio engineering, come across anything I needed a Mac for. And it's been my experience in using both (one of my everyday computers is a MBP) that I enjoy working in Windows more. But the difference between the hardware now is zero. I would base my decision on 3 major factors - OS/software, budget, and access to service.

I personally want zero downtime, and in the PC environment I can achieve that. This is why I built my primary desktop. No matter what happens, I can be back up and running an hour after I get back from CompUSA. Of course with laptops it's different, but the only scenarios I would need to contact service for would be issues related to the mainboard or the screen. Generally, a PC laptop is easier to service yourself. There is usually more built in access to removable components, and even the more arcane parts are easier to access. Apple laptops typically require a visit to a service center, but AppleCare gives you outstanding coverage and service, even if you do have to end up waiting a week or two for a major issue.

You really need to get your hands on both operating systems and figure out what you're most comfortable using. I recommend focusing on the OS first, since it dictates the workflow for all your applications as well. Also, look into what software you might want to use. If (for instance) you decide that Logic is your go-to DAW, then you know you need a Mac. In my opinion, Logic and FCP are the 2 biggest reasons to look at Apple, since they're both amazing programs.

You're going to get more bang for your buck on the PC side. I have a co-worker that just got a Dell Studio XPS for $1100 using a coupon from NotebookReview.com, and it's impressive. It's i7 based, and has 2 years of total coverage built into the price. A comparable MBP is going to run closer to $2500 once you add AppleCare, and that's only covering you for a year. Of course, you CAN look at older hardware, but if you're buying a new computer the only way that makes sense to me is if you've already decided that OSX is the best OS for you.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    and you support this for music production/mixing because?
    It's an effective use of money, and ensures you'll have at least one computer you can rely on in case of failure. Although with a budget of $800 you could go with an i5 on the desktop as long as you went with a budget GPU. That would get you a mid level Asus mobo, and good solid case with room for expansion, 4gb of Kingston RAM, and might even cover the cost of the OS.

you forgot to include the third poll option "both are fine"
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Ok, so you don't want a big headache then??? I would say go for Mac if you want what you stated above... Simple!!!
    +1!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

I don't know what all you guys are talking about.

I use a Commodore 64. Shit is so cash.

get a pc box, run linux, use mixxx for dj software. for a fraction of the cost of a win7 pc.

#justsayin
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I've been a PC guy forever.

That being said, if I was to upgrade in the near future for a DJing ONLY machine, I would probably just spend a couple extra bucks for a Mac and then not worry about things.

Yes you can get a Windows based computer to work really well. But it's like babysitting. You always have to be on top of that shit, and it's much easier to just not deal with it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by TABS View Post
    Build an I3 desktop for around $800, buy a PC laptop for $500. Kill two bird with one stone.
    If you're a savvy enough shopper, you can buy an i3 laptop for $500, sometimes i5 for $550-600
    http://slickdeals.net/sdsearch.php?s...arch_archive=0

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    ...if I was to upgrade in the near future for a DJing ONLY machine, I would probably just spend a couple extra bucks for a Mac and then not worry about things.
    Yes you can get a Windows based computer to work really well. But it's like babysitting. You always have to be on top of that shit, and it's much easier to just not deal with it.
    I don't know about babysitting PCs, but you do have to tweak it a bit: http://www.blackviper.com/
    & be more careful of what websites you surf to, use Firefox with Adblock/Flashblock, etc. I only run an anti-virus once every 3 months, & only got bitten 4 years ago when I loaded a bootleged Photoshop. Other than running "Glary Utilities" every month, optimize the HD every 3 months, windows is fine. I find the wider range of software available for Windows (much of it free) offsets the extra work.

Macs are great, I do recommend if you have the extra cash & can't deal with the drama (esp Firewire issues with Windows-hardware), but they aren't bullet proof. I'd recommend buying all the hardware & software at once so you can see if it all compatible with each other.
    So, I didn't vote
    Last edited by re8; 06-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I've been a PC guy forever.

That being said, if I was to upgrade in the near future for a DJing ONLY machine, I would probably just spend a couple extra bucks for a Mac and then not worry about things.

1. It's not a 'couple extra bucks'. More like 400$ (MBP starts @1200$ you can get a GOOD pc for 600-800$)

2. simply not true, just make sure you don't install *as much crap as possible*. Just keep the computer clean. (which wouldn't be too hard because the laptop would be 'for DJing ONLY')

Tech Mentor

plain and simple i've never had my mac crash, get a virus, or just die.

I've had my macbook pro for 4.5 years. it runs super fast and smooth. just spend the extra cash on a mac..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast