And the PC/Mac debate rages on.

View Poll Results: Which should I get and why?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC

16 30.19%
  • Mac

37 69.81%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default And the PC/Mac debate rages on.

MOST RECENT POST I MADE IN THIS THREAD TO KEEP YOU ALL UP TO DATE:

Quote Originally Posted by tim_vicious View Post
    A small preface: I'm a graphic designer, started back in 2000 with a PC and bought a first generation Imac, second gen Imac, and now i'm still using my Powerbook G4. Through all the mac's I've owned in 10 yrs. (that's right only 3, 3 computers in 10 yrs) I had one problem with my Powerbook which was due to a memory RAM failure, not the computer.

1. Macs are entirely more stable than PC's (i've had serato and traktor glitch and crash on pc's with other dj's on gigs using them) Programs seem to run smoother visually as well, anything with level analyzers or gain visuals, waveforms, all run smoother and load faster.

2. Tech Support - Good luck having Dell, or HP help you with a problem. When i had my memory error I was having issues with programs crashing, took it into an Apple store, they ran a FREE diagnostic, told me what was wrong, offered me the ram and I said I would get it elsewhere. Walked out without a bill and a smile from the genius bar guy.

3. Mac's are somewhat of an industry standard. Not everyone uses them, but anyone who has the money will splurge on one.

Do you need a Mac to dj with? No. Should you get one if you can? Yes.

ok so u have made me even want a mac more, the quesiton now is, which to get.

What I am going to use it for: Mixing producing. meaning ill have traktor as well as ableton in there.

LIGHT gaming: pretty much just starcraft 2...ill run bootcamp if i want to play maybe team fortress 2 (steam) but i DOUBT ill play any more than 3 games

I can convince my parents to let me get the macbook (900$ with the student discount...and a free ipod touch that i can sell fo $150) and i MIGHT (<-bigg ass might) be able to push as far as the cheapest 15 inch macbook pro (core i5 2.4 ghz, 4 gigs, 320 GB hdd) which would be 1550$ new (after the 100$ student discount and selling the free ipod touvh for 150$)

but the wuestion I have now: do i really need to go as far as that macbook pro? or will I be fine with a 13 inch macbook (which uses core 2 duo) or even the regular macbook?

thanks again, ill provide additional info if needed

-Gianmarco

------------------------------------------

OP:

I need opinions on the two, I am going to get a new lappy this summer. Wanting to mix and produce isnt really the driving argument I am throwing my dad as to why I want a powerful laptop. It is more telling him that I want something durable and dependable.

I am looking to improve my mixing and to start producing.

Pick one of the options, and, if you would, please tell me why I should get the option you chose. Also, please specify any certain brands of configurations of your choice (i.e. If you schose PC: what brand(s) would you recommend and specs, if you chose mac: would I be ok with just a Macbook? or go straight for a MBP? etc.)

I can push for a 15' MBP (cheapest configuration) if that is what some of you are asking ($1550 new through student discounts WITHOUT the tree year extended warranty).

But $1500 or so is the capping point.

PS: Assume I will take ridiculous care of it.
    Last edited by GPS; 06-02-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Tech Wizard

Well you have two options.
    If you want something cheaper, but same quality computing power go with pc.
    I really think thinkpads are great pc laptops. Great durability/build quality. Solid computer, no bullshit.

If you want something that looks pretty, and is built on a more stable kernel, go with a mac.
    Seriously, you can get the same computing power for half the price in a pc. It's your choice really of preference.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirtofu View Post
    I think you might be right about that.

Tech Guru

If you want something cheaper, but same quality computing power go with pc.
    I really think thinkpads are great pc laptops. Great durability/build quality. Solid computer, no bullshit.

If you want something that looks pretty, and is built on a more stable kernel, go with a mac.
    Seriously, you can get the same computing power for half the price in a pc. It's your choice really of preference.
    I know all of this, and I am currently using a 4 year ols Lenovo thinkpad with a celeron M processor, sure the processor is ancient and anything other than basic applications runs slow as HELL. It takes a good 10 minutes at least to fully boot

All I want is sometihng DURABLE and RELIABLE

gianmarco

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Ok, so you don't want a big headache then??? I would say go for Mac if you want what you stated above... Simple!!!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    I know all of this, and I am currently using a 4 year ols Lenovo thinkpad with a celeron M processor, sure the processor is ancient and anything other than basic applications runs slow as HELL. It takes a good 10 minutes at least to fully boot

gianmarco
    Well, if you already knew the pros and cons of each. Then why are you asking us?

Tech Guru

Well, if you already knew the pros and cons of each. Then why are you asking us?
    That is not what I meant, I have experience with PCs, but I have had this lenovo for a year after my dad used it for 3. I do not know the pros and cons of each.

I want peoples (in this case producers and DJs) take on the matter

Tech Mentor

Build an I3 desktop for around $800, buy a PC laptop for $500. Kill two bird with one stone.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TABS View Post
    Build an I3 desktop for around $800, buy a PC laptop for $500. Kill two bird with one stone.
    and you support this for music production/mixing because?

After seeing this argument time and time again in my relatively limited time on this site I think I can save you some time......

If you are fairly PC/ windows literate and understand the inner workings of what you need to do to get the lappy working at its best rate for audio then go for the pc as you will be able to get into the workings if something isn't running correctly (ie audio drop outs, things working against you behind the scenes on your system etc) and will have which ever software you want to use working properly. This will enable you to save money to spend on other things in your set up.

On the other hand (like me) and you aren't that good with the workings then I would head Mac (and Mac book pro at that) as I bought the 2.56 processor, 15', 4 gig of ram, dual core which for the Pro's is the base model (i know the i5's are out now but mine is still more than enough)and have had no probs what so ever running traktor and will be moving into some production later on. It's stable and runs like a dream with no prior set up(for audio) quibbles.

Mac prueists will argue stability, solid hardware inside the mac to start with (no adding to your pc after sale), industry standard (imho) and they are pretty freakin awesome from my point of view!!!

PC's users will state that with a bit of knowledge you can get the same results with pc's (which don't doubt is true), cost is better, added functionality.

I hope this helps? Anyone else who can add to this be my guest?
    -:side note, have you thought about reconditioned Mac book pro from Apple as mkay be cheaper than a new one and still same qualities especially now i5's are out?
    Last edited by Fyoog; 06-01-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast