Could I mix at a party gig with 320 kbps MP3 ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Playing 320s will make your girlfriend leave you. True story, happened to me. She said once you go FLAC you never go back....

320 all the way, but i do all my vinyl rips as 24bit wav files..so when i warp them in Ableton I can save down to 320 no prob. I also save FLAC version of all my rips for back up.
    Last edited by CaptainMidnight; 02-10-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typos..im retard.

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    what he said...

but again using this topic as a jump off point i wish flac was a commonly supported file format.
    I've always wondered why broadcast wav files aren't supported. It's a wav file with a bext chunk for metadata. So you'd be able to input info into the wav file. We've been using that format for YEARS in the movie industry.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    you know the only person that can hear the difference is other dj's.
    this.

same with how well you can mix and beatmatch etc. the only people in the club or bar that notice are the people that spin themselves. people go out to have a good time, drink, and dance. play stuff they want to hear, or keep a groove they can dance to and they go home happy.

Tech Mentor

:| thought this topic had more flame potential. so far, mostly reasonable posts with only a little bit of nonsense here and there...

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    :| thought this topic had more flame potential. so far, mostly reasonable posts with only a little bit of nonsense here and there...
    sorry to disappoint

Jack Bastard

There's definitely a difference between uncompressed audio and mp3 on large systems, personally for the sake of a couple of extra pence and extra mb I go for uncompressed audio.

Beatport sells 320s as standard…what other information do you need?

The only reason to use Wav files is if you're using Ableton. It converts everything to wav anyway and stores them in it's cache file, so compressed formats actually use more disk space than just keeping wav files, and it can cause glitches if you try to use a song that isn't in its cache, because apparently the conversion takes enough processor that if you're already up around 70% processor use (not uncommon), it can bump you up to where sound starts glitching and dropping out.

For everything else, 320 is great. I still get flac or alac when I can in case I have to do an edit, and if I process an mp3 through Ableton as an edit, I either leave it as a wav or a flac afterwards as opposed to sending it through the mp3 algorithm again…but it's not that big of a deal.

I have a couple mp3s of bootleg remixes I've done that started with an mp3 file…and they still sound okay even on a big system. Not ideal, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    320 is fine for all but the biggest systems. I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

Also another advantage of mp3s is metadata - you can't tag wavs.
    that's why I prefer FLAC : lossless, metadata and a 1/4 the size.

But if the tune is right, & rare as f*ck, I've been known to play 128k. Just boost the bass, lower the highs.

About no-one-will-notice: yeah, if the club system is shitty, sure but if it's good watch out for those highs boy, they kill the ears and annoy everyone present.
    Last edited by minimal; 02-11-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234