I got the basics, but where should i go from here?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Haven't tried the Xponent but it's Fisher-Price look keeps me away from it, it's so ugly man! Same for Torq, looks like a crappy video-game from the 80's.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pepehouse View Post
    Haven't tried the Xponent but it's Fisher-Price look keeps me away from it, it's so ugly man! Same for Torq, looks like a crappy video-game from the 80's.
    I'd totally be lying if I said I didn't agree with this lol. Never liked the looks or feel of it.

I have a great vci-100, padkontrol, and audio 4 sound card set-up. My freind gave me Traktor Scratch Pro, so now im set. And im doing the arcade mod so its going to be pretty sweet.

Tech Mentor

xponent should be fine.

get a solid laptop that won't fail on you first.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I'd totally be lying if I said I didn't agree with this lol. Never liked the looks or feel of it.
    haha this is what i get for being an xponent owner and signing up on a forum for a site that sells the VCI 100 >_>

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Tech Guru

Hey whatever works for you dude, doesn't have to be thousands of dollars to get the job done hehe.

I consider myself a huge gear snob though in all honesty, I've owned the regular top shelf stuff and unfortunately have become a bit too pampered for my own good. It's kinda like smoking cuban cigars, once you do it - not much can compare to it.

That's why I love MIDI gear, there's so much stuff thats simplistic and dare I say "cheap" in feel, but what matters is how you use it. But then again, I suppose that goes the same for all things

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Hey whatever works for you dude, doesn't have to be thousands of dollars to get the job done hehe.

I consider myself a huge gear snob though in all honesty, I've owned the regular top shelf stuff and unfortunately have become a bit too pampered for my own good. It's kinda like smoking cuban cigars, once you do it - not much can compare to it.

That's why I love MIDI gear, there's so much stuff thats simplistic and dare I say "cheap" in feel, but what matters is how you use it. But then again, I suppose that goes the same for all things
    haha you prove a good point, sir. i have a nagging feeling that once i get CDJs ill never be able to go back to my xponent (just as now im just traktor and its slowly taking up my mixing time even though ive pretty much mastered torq).

totally off topic: whats a good program to use with a padkontrol for loops and stuff? i wanna be able to use this thing live and ive barely made heads or tails of it (the manuals suck complete ass so theyre no help)

-
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Depends on the cash you can get really.

The optimal setup IMO would be getting a decent mixer, a couple pioneer CDJ's, and then a software/audio interface package of your choice. Given that and your padKontrol, you should be able to get a hell of a lot accomplished. MIDI controllers don't have the backup like CDJ's do in the ability to play without a computer hooked up.

Hell, people have even gotten netbooks to do the job, and you could get two of those for the price of a mac and have a school computer and a DJing computer. That's just my 2 cents though.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    Depends on the cash you can get really.

The optimal setup IMO would be getting a decent mixer, a couple pioneer CDJ's, and then a software/audio interface package of your choice. Given that and your padKontrol, you should be able to get a hell of a lot accomplished. MIDI controllers don't have the backup like CDJ's do in the ability to play without a computer hooked up.

Hell, people have even gotten netbooks to do the job, and you could get two of those for the price of a mac and have a school computer and a DJing computer. That's just my 2 cents though.
    haha well your 2 cents i appreciated dude thats pretty much what i was thinking. im defenitely gonna use laptops no matter what (i need that visual feedback) but yeah what are some budget pioneer cdjs to use w/ a laptop? 1000's are out of the question but do 800s or 400s do the job fine & are still laptop compatable?

-

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Solus View Post
    haha well your 2 cents i appreciated dude thats pretty much what i was thinking. im defenitely gonna use laptops no matter what (i need that visual feedback) but yeah what are some budget pioneer cdjs to use w/ a laptop? 1000's are out of the question but do 800s or 400s do the job fine & are still laptop compatable?
    400's for me do a fantastic job. You can go timecode, CDs, iPod, or even use it as a soundcard and just use the MIDI/HID function of it. The only real argument I seem to come across with it are from the turntablists who are all about the feel of the platter, in which case the 400's will not do a good job emulating vinyl, if you scratch that is.

As for the 800, it has no direct link to the computer.
    Macbook, Novation Ultranova, Novation Launchpad x2, Behringer BCD3000, Allen & Heath Xone 1D x2 (I'm trying to sell these right now), Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.7 (It's Legal)
    http://www.facebook.com/dynamicsmusic
    http://soundcloud.com/dynamicsmusic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast