I got the basics, but where should i go from here??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I got the basics, but where should i go from here??

ive been DJing for 5 months now using an m-audio torq & xponent (currently transitioning to traktor pro right now though, its taking a while to get used to), along with a korg padkontrol (which i really dont know how to use, i can only get it to work with FL 9 & play keys but no loops) and ive been doing mixes & mashups and such, along with a couple shows (some haiti benefits, but they werent exactly my style, i only like mixing electronica). So basically im either for a graduation present or for the summer as i get a job & save up some $$ i want to know what direction i should be going in as for what to do next equipment-wise. first off id probably want to get my own laptop (i use my friend's laptop for shows) but im probably already getting one for when i go to college next year so besides that im stuck as to what i should be getting, like some real CDJs & a mixer (that arent insanely expensive), speakers, lighting, extra controllers, etc.. I also turn 18 this summer and im gonna be whoring myself out (making a promotional CD right now) and try to get club gigs but im also trying to do a show or two with my friends this summer so idk what my primary focus is right now so yeah if any of you guys are willing to read through this big ass wall of txt and give some pointers it would be greatly appreciated

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

This isn't a decision to be made hastily. Take your time and decide on what you would like, but i would get a decent laptop if i were you. But if you're getting one in the fall, maybe you could save some money.
    Don't worry about getting lights, it's a waste of money.

I'd go for a laptop, soundcard with monitor out and a decent midi controller... with this you'd be able to turn up anywhere with a sound system and play...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I'd go for a laptop, soundcard with monitor out and a decent midi controller... with this you'd be able to turn up anywhere with a sound system and play...
    Which is what is all about.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

+1
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pepehouse View Post
    Which is what is all about.
    Unless it's Serato. Then it's about breaking your high score in Pong.

BOOYAH!

Tech Wizard

you should look for a Vestax VCI-100 SE or Numark Omni Control. Those are probably the best thing to start with as far as MIDI controllers. Omni Control comes with Traktor LE and a built in soundcard so it is a really good piece of equipment. As far as I know, the VCI-100 comes with Traktor LE but not with a soundcard, which means you would need to buy an audio dj2 or 4 (Native Instruments) to take full advantage of everything.

All of my friends with vinyl or CDJ's are aching to go digital or even just go midi... I would just go midi, like a vci, and add in decks later on with timecode or CDJ HID mode.

Tech Wizard

or just cue it up with a Midi-Fighter

waitwaitwaitwait so the xponent ISNT a decent midi controller?? its worked out pretty damn well for me so far lol
    && im going for CDJs in the long run because apparently they're club/performance standard (why the hell do all the clubs use serato scratch when theres no scratching?!?! makes no sense)

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast