the "house" section on beatport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default the "house" section on beatport

ok so i mostly listen to tech house & progressive on BP. cause thats what i want to spin when i hit the clubs. now what bugs me out is this "house" section on beatport, like isnt there songs in that section that belongs in prog or tech house? like if so is there a reason why they are placed in the house section instead of tech/prog instead? even though they sound lik ethey either belong outside the house section?

I personally find the genres in Beatport to be rubbish, the ones on Juno Download are a lot better, plus I reckon Juno is a lot easier to navigate too...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

^^True.
    I just started buying from juno after finding just 3 new tracks in the past month on WPP that don't suck or bore me to death.

Banned

It's all based on perception I guess, and that's one of the biggest issues with organizing music by genres on a site like Beatport.

Where you might see it as tech house, I might view it as techno, and another will label it minimal and so on.

I only go to Beatport/Juno/ect. when I know what I'm looking for, never to dig. I have other ways of digging.

yeh Beatport's genres are to generalized. If they are not sure what genre it is then it goes in house lol. There so many wicked styles of House at the moment and I find them a lot easier to find through Juno. The sub genre section in Beatport is awful as well for example the majority of breaks on Beatport are progressive apparently and they still include nuskool breaks which tbh died a while a go. It definitely needs refreshing.
    http://mixcloud.com/audioaerosol
    Black MacBook 2.4ghz 750gb HD, 8gb RAM
    XDJ Aero & Rekordbox

the labels decide what genre it gets filed under in beatport... sometimes it gets moved even when we don't want it to... then there are the labels who use a distributor, and those people put it where they see fit...

I like how Juno is more fine grained when it comes to house sub-genres, but when it comes to techno... there's ONE classification.
    I stopped checking their "techno" rss feed because more than half would often be hard/hardstyle - which I am just not interested in - with no way to filter it out*, although the album art is usually a good giveaway in that case

*no, I did not include the dedicated hardstyle feeds in this. but it looks like Juno tags releases with multiple genres sometimes
    Last edited by bumtsch; 06-03-2010 at 04:46 PM.

In my opinion the genre thing is just the way the label wants to merchandise the music and maybe increase the odds of selling more or hitting a chart. For instance charting a song or reaching the top 100 on beatport Tech house section is much harder than making it on the "House" section. So if your track is somewhere in between a record owner may take the strategy to place it under House insted of tech house just to increase the chances of making into a top sellerunder that genre.

If you look at the 100 top tracks of beatport you will notice that house or "deep house" # 1 will be at the end of the general ranking.

So genres are very relative. Anyways is not that bad that you will found a trance track under dnb, is just playing with relativeness of some genres.

That is why I don't use Beatport. They are retarded. I don't want to spend 3 hours sorting through electro house and crap house to find one good funky house track.

Go to Traxsource.com : http://www.traxsource.com

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    That is why I don't use Beatport. They are retarded. I don't want to spend 3 hours sorting through electro house and crap house to find one good funky house track.

Go to Traxsource.com : http://www.traxsource.com
    I love that someone say it! Beatport house just sucks, loads of cheesy progressive-electro stuff, Traxsource has the REAL HOUSE.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast