How to set up VCI-100 as a mixer?
    Tech Convert

Default How to set up VCI-100 as a mixer?

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn8yy...e.php?x=vci100, I see DJ Troubl uses VCI-100 as the mixer. So, I just wonder how to use my VCI-100 as a mixer and how to hook it up with my turntables? ( I use NI's Audio 8 DJ soundcard)

Thanks

Do you plan on using time code vinyl or real vinyl ? That plays a part in the software options

Quote Originally Posted by danzzz View Post
    I just wonder how to use my VCI-100 as a mixer and how to hook it up with my turntables? ( I use NI's Audio 8 DJ soundcard)
    Hi Danzzz

To Use Your VCI-100 As A Mixer Controller,
    You Basically Have To Map The VCI's Controls To The Mixer Controls (Via MIDI) In Your Software.

Considering You Already Have An Audio8 DJ, An Obvious Choice For DVS Would Be Traktor Skratch.
    However, Traktor Skratch Does Not Have An Internal Software Mixer.
    You Would Also Need The Full Version Of Traktor To Be Able To Use Your VCI To Control Your Mixing.
    (There Are Of Course, Other DVS Options)

Hope This Helps
    The Duelist

BTW: DJ Troubl Didn't Seem To Be Using Traktor
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Do you plan on using time code vinyl or real vinyl ? That plays a part in the software options
    I will use time code vinyl - Traktor Scratch.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by The Duelist View Post
    Hi Danzzz

To Use Your VCI-100 As A Mixer Controller,
    You Basically Have To Map The VCI's Controls To The Mixer Controls (Via MIDI) In Your Software.

Considering You Already Have An Audio8 DJ, An Obvious Choice For DVS Would Be Traktor Skratch.
    However, Traktor Skratch Does Not Have An Internal Software Mixer.
    You Would Also Need The Full Version Of Traktor To Be Able To Use Your VCI To Control Your Mixing.
    (There Are Of Course, Other DVS Options)

Hope This Helps
    The Duelist

BTW: DJ Troubl Didn't Seem To Be Using Traktor
    Thanks Duelist, for you length reply.

I use A8DJ, but with Traktor 3.3. So I will have the control to the internal mixer. (DJ Troubl is using MixVibe in this video)

The way I figured out is to "merge" the external mixer output channels for 2 turntables into the internal mixer's output channels, which means the the internal mixer channel for MIDI will be shared to use, then we can use VCI-100 (a "internal" mixer here) to take control of the other two turntables. (Oops. hope it's not that confusing to read)

The sad thing is I just sold my old turntables and the new pair won't be arrived in 4 days. Can't really do a test now. LOL...
    Last edited by danzzz; 04-19-2008 at 05:12 AM.

I use A8DJ, but with Traktor 3.3. So I will have the control to the internal mixer. (DJ Troubl is using MixVibe in this video)

The way I figured out is to "merge" the external mixer output channels for 2 turntables into the internal mixer's output channels, which means the the internal mixer channel for MIDI will be shared to use, then we can use VCI-100 (a "internal" mixer here) to take control of the other two turntables. (Oops. hope it's not that confusing to read)
    Danzzz

The VCI Is Only Being Used To Control Traktor's Internal Mixer.
    You Cannot Mix 'Normal' Vinyl Tracks Through Traktor,
    For This You Need To Mix Through An External Mixer.
    (Traktor Skratch Is Being Used For DVS Control.)

The Duelist
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

Thanks Duelist, for you length reply.

The sad thing is I just sold my old turntables and the new pair won't be arrived in 4 days. Can't really do a test now. LOL...
    You could route your audio into Ableton, that way Traktor Scratch would still be mixing externally, just in Ableton(technically still internal mixing). Seeings how you like scratching take a look at the "Scratching in Ableton" thread too, there are many different ways you can scratch and you may want to take advantage of multiple methods seeings how you will have multiple decks Ableton will allow you to easily interchange which decks the crossfader is crossfading so you will have no shortage of control.

Its very possible to improve upon what DJ Troubl is doing here if you set up your software correctly

Personally i have not used Traktor Scratch so i am not totally sure if its suitable, but if it cant do internal mixing that not a huge issue

Tech Convert

guys, just have some followups for my thread:

I tried my way -

"The way I figured out is to "merge" the external mixer output channels for 2 turntables into the internal mixer's output channels, which means the the internal mixer channel for MIDI will be shared to use, then we can use VCI-100 (a "internal" mixer here) to take control of the other two turntables."

...and it works! Altho I have to use DVS (can't use regular vinyl because it's working under Traktor 3), now VCI-100 becomes a powerful mixer with something like loop set, effects, cue setting, etc.

Time to get rid of my DJM-400. LOL