The 17 and 15" macbook pros have the core i5, but the 13" DOESNT?!?!?!?
    Tech Guru

Default The 17 and 15" macbook pros have the core i5, but the 13" DOESNT?!?!?!?

I want to get a mac, but i dont wat to pay some 500$ more just to have a macbook pro with a core i5 instead of the mvp 13 inch with the core 2 duo

any educated guesses on when they will have core i5?

this is the closest article expleining why it didnt get it when its counterparts (the 15 and 17 inch macbook pros) got it

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...i5-upgrade.ars

-Gianmarco

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Not really news. IMO you don't need the newest MBP to run Traktor or even Abelton and Traktor. Just fill up on RAM and you'll be fine.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Or a SSD which would provide a bigger performance boost than the latest-greatest Core i5/i7.

It's not critical for the usage I'm assuming you'll be throwing at it.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    it's always nice to future proof though

exactly. I was pretty set on getting the 13", but then i heard how intel is going to stop producing the core 2 duos this year...so any thoughts on when the 13s should have core i5s?

-Gianmarco

An HP DV6 will get you an i5 for $800, plus x2 more USB ports...

...just sayin, lol

I'm not super hyped for the quad cores yet. I WOULD much rather have a quad core 2.4 than a dual core 2.6, IF the applications I am using support 4 cores. Snow leopard is BETTER at supporting it down on the OS level, but still, not going to utilize everything. So I'm going to stick with the C2D for now, Or a Sun SPARC 9000... HAHA OMG a cloud node would be SSOOO awesome for running a DAW lol. All I know is that my single core 1.6 atom isn't handling this shit anymore hahaha. I'm so glad my girlfriend lets me use her macbook. I'm just lacking moneyz to get my gear back up, used to be running 8 computers constantly, i miss it terribly :-(
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Tech Guru

apple stuck with the old cpu because these are compatible with nvidia's integrated graphics solution. the only integrated graphic solution for the newer cpu models. so apple benchmarked and determined that the solution will be faster and more battery friendly sticking with the old cpu's since the 13" model only has integrated graphics.

now as for the future. there is still no licensing agreement between nvidia or amd for that matter for the newer models. intel does not seem to be able to come up with a fast solution of their own.

now apple (and others) might increase the pressure on intel to allow nvidia to fill the gap that currently exists. i think nvidia is also fighting with intel on court over this. but i wouldnt hold my breath.

at any rate even the 15/17 are suprisingly behind times. apple was usually an early adopter in fast connectors (firewire, usb), but usb3 isnt supported. furthermore PC laptop's at the top end already support up to 16GB of ram, while apple maxes out at 8GB. so all in all the current crop of macbook pro are quite underwhelming. not sure if they will fix this any time this year though.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music