ARGH! Traktor won't let me edit songs? HELP
    Tech Mentor

Default ARGH! Traktor won't let me edit songs? HELP

This is so annoying! I have a bunch of beatgrids and currently am working on cues through my library. Eventually I want to add key notes for each song. However, when I go to a song, put it in a deck, unlock it so I can make changes, then select edit when right clicking on the song in the menu, then changing whatever I want to change (ex. add a key note, change the artist, etc.)...IT TOTALLY REMOVES ALL BEATGRIDS, CUES, AND EVERYTHING I HAVE DONE TO A SONG IN TRAKTOR. It's as if traktor has never even seen the song and re-analyzes it again from scratch.

WHAT THE HELL?

I have tried unlocking and pressing ok, unlocking and pressing apply, and locking for both ok and apply, they all remove everything I have on a song.

I have "Allow Inline Editing in List Window" checked in Preferences under File Management.

This is so ridiculously frusterating, I really don't want to beatgrid and set up cues for ALL my songs again when I eventually add the key notes.

What the heck do I do here?

edit:

I notice it only does this for non-beatport songs. I.e. songs I have purchased from itunes a while back or ripped from a CD.
    Last edited by rt24; 06-05-2010 at 04:49 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Have you converted the iTunes songs to mp3? I believe they're AAC when you buy them from iTunes and there's problems with editing the AAC file. At least there is for me using Mixed in Key. The first thing I do after downloading from iTunes is convert to mp3.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Have you converted the iTunes songs to mp3? I believe they're AAC when you buy them from iTunes and there's problems with editing the AAC file. At least there is for me using Mixed in Key. The first thing I do after downloading from iTunes is convert to mp3.
    They were all converted to WAV actually, I bought a music converter that changes pretty well any format to any format (it removes the DRM from the itunes songs as well which was the main reason I bought it).

I would have sticked to MP3 but it's in 128 bitrate (edit: 128 bit rate if you convert an AAC to MP3 using that program) so I just made them wavs.

The only bad thing is that converting it like that creates a transcode....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    The only bad thing is that converting it like that creates a transcode....
    What's a transcode?

Add your itunes library to the traktor collection. solved.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Add your itunes library to the traktor collection. solved.
    They were all added when I switched from using itunes to using just plain music folders in my documents.

Turns out it's only about 20 songs that don't seem to work. The song quality wasn't as good as the beatport ones anyway (even though they were converted to wavs they still have the same quality as the itunes 256 or so bitrate), as well as many of them were edits and not the original versions so I am going to bite the bullet and just buy them from beatport. That transcode thing is the problem, they just auto-reset whenever I fiddle with them as opposed to the beatport ones which are solid (even after switching laptops they still kept the cues and everything).

$30 for 20 songs (all of them are $1.49) isn't that much of a biggie. That + I get the full versions so it ain't half bad actually.

Anyway thanks for your help guys as per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    What's a transcode?
    A transcode is an audio file that loses it's quility because it is converted to another quality. For example, if you convert an mp3 to anything, it loses all of it's quality, so if it was a bassy song, there would be barely any bass at all. The only way is if you have a lossless like a FLAC file and convert it to mp3 than its good.