Your resume. Work Experience - Disk Jockey?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Your resume. Work Experience - Disk Jockey?

So this has been on my mind for a while and I have wondered what you have all experienced on this matter.

The matter in case is Putting that you were a Disk Jockey on your job application and how did the employer inquire about it.

I am really interested to hear some responses.

Like what "workplace skills" did you all gain from it and such?

Did you find it helpful in landing you a job?

-Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Depends what kind of job you are going for. your cv (as its called in the uk) is just a sales pitch to get you in the door. It should be tailored to any job you are applying for, and if you think putting dj'ing on there as a hobby or job will help the application, then go for it.

As I say.. it all depends on the job.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

As a DJ at superawesomeclub I was responsible for purchasing and playing music for club goers and maintaining thousands of dollars of equipment for the club. On an average night I was charged with keeping 2000-5000 people happy and dancing with my music selection, changing songs every 2-4 minutes, but keeping the mood on the dance floor. While not playing music I kept my 20,000 track music collection organized and faithfully added to those tracks by searching high and low for new music to keep the crowd energized and happy.

I feel I excelled at being a Dj because of my natural abilities as a quick thinker and strong desire to do an above average job. If you feel your company is ready for my awesomness please give me a call to set up an interview.

Another option is to take out most of that bullshit and put in, politely deal with drunk assholes, change the light bulbs on the dance floor, pick up loose pool balls, buff the floor, and do repairs to the crappy ass DJ booth to keep it from falling down.

There's all kinds of skills a DJ has that can directly relate to just about any other job.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

nice one photojojo, you're a clever one.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    It should be tailored to any job you are applying for
    Moonie is completely spot on here.
    This is the whole reason for writing a CV. I am constantly astounded by the amount of people who put things in their CV's that have nothing to do with the job or the skills required.

Make sure it is relevant if you are gonna throw it in there.

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Tech Guru

hmm... i don't know. i assume it depends largely on the job.

it seemed like i got less callbacks and hires when i decided to include my dj/promoter ventures onto my resume. i'm uncertain if it's coincidence or not, but it definitely did cross my mind as a possible reason.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    As a DJ at superawesomeclub I was responsible for purchasing and playing music for club goers and maintaining thousands of dollars of equipment for the club. On an average night I was charged with keeping 2000-5000 people happy and dancing with my music selection, changing songs every 2-4 minutes, but keeping the mood on the dance floor. While not playing music I kept my 20,000 track music collection organized and faithfully added to those tracks by searching high and low for new music to keep the crowd energized and happy.

I feel I excelled at being a Dj because of my natural abilities as a quick thinker and strong desire to do an above average job. If you feel your company is ready for my awesomness please give me a call to set up an interview.

Another option is to take out most of that bullshit and put in, politely deal with drunk assholes, change the light bulbs on the dance floor, pick up loose pool balls, buff the floor, and do repairs to the crappy ass DJ booth to keep it from falling down.

There's all kinds of skills a DJ has that can directly relate to just about any other job.
    +1

people skills is something id put in and in my case as i book djs at a bar, some kind of managment
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

imo its better to list that you were working than not working.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast