Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DJ Lessons

Tech Mentor

seconds...
    Thank Ya!!!

Tech Mentor

hi

ive given music lessons in a specific instrument

i used to give people a price which I though was fair and made it worth my while and then also said that people can pay what they can afford under or over that if they thought the tuition was good and just trusted that people would not rip me off

nice for people of all income structures to have access to knowledge - it worked well - often got paid more than i asked for which balanced out for those who really could nt afford to pay my asking price

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Hey guys

So I was wondering, if people started asking you to teach them to DJ what would you charge, if anything. I have been asked by a few people to show them the ropes and while I can't teach scratching I can teach almost everything else for a mix DJ (EQ, faders, samples, most CD decks, effects, etc.). It would probably be around 1 hour a week or something.

I know that we have the Scratch Academy here which is, like, $300 an hour or something.

What would you guys ask for?
    i was thinkin about trying to start teaching lessons, preferably to spoiled kids with rich parents. but as i have no reputation (and i want to keep it low key so as to not have to register as a business, and not deal with all the shit that goes along with that) i was thinkin like $50nz an hour (20-30us?)
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

actually, now that we're on the subject...
    i have no idea where i would start...
    say i have a 15 year old student for example. what do i teach them first? what do they need to know? it would be kool if we could collab some kind of lesson plan
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I would always recommend them learning some sort of analog system. I think learning the theory of DJing is easier to learn on turntables/CDJs and a mixer. I'd start with how a mixer works, what EQ is, crossfader, pfl, etc. etc. etc..

I'd teach them the basic idea of mixing two songs together, without beatmatching, to understand the idea of keeping the beat going. I learned on a radio technique of marking where the last beat lands on the outgoing track and where the first beat of the incoming track. Give them basic, simple ideas, make them make mixes and critique them.

Many DJs would say scratching should come here, but I don't scratch, so I can't teach it. I'd teach beatmatching instead, especially being I only know EDM. I'd also force "sight reading" of a sort, giving them two songs that can be mixed and make them mix them. Etc. etc. etc.

that's just a start, though.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

this is a great thread - going to have a think about this and will post later :-)

Default Seeking DJ lessons

I am only a couple months into DJing. I have been pretty intensely practicing, reading up, and getting a grip on my set-up for a while but I'd like to find somewhat more regimented instruction so I can have a really solid handle on the fundamentals. I'm looking to do shows and don't want to have my skills undercooked.

I was thinking I would like to find some sort of lesson. I'm not sure whether I should go for some online tutorial type deal (Does such a thing exist for Digital Djing?) or maybe a personal lesson. Then again I'm not sure how many Digital Djs there are in the Salt Lake area.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by nudearchitect View Post
    I am only a couple months into DJing. I have been pretty intensely practicing, reading up, and getting a grip on my set-up for a while but I'd like to find somewhat more regimented instruction so I can have a really solid handle on the fundamentals. I'm looking to do shows and don't want to have my skills undercooked.

I was thinking I would like to find some sort of lesson. I'm not sure whether I should go for some online tutorial type deal (Does such a thing exist for Digital Djing?) or maybe a personal lesson. Then again I'm not sure how many Digital Djs there are in the Salt Lake area.

Any thoughts?
    Post a ad in craigslist for digital dj lessons
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

If you're going to charge, you should have some sort of curriculum set up and definitely plan out your lessons far in advance. If you do it rather professionally, people won't mind paying as much as paying for any other sort of teacher.

Tech Guru

? it would be kool if we could collab some kind of lesson plan

In regards to that quote, I'm a life coach and part of coaching is designing an alliance with your client before you begin coaching so that you can both agree on what is going to work best for both of you. It's a great way to make sure that both parties are heard. Just offer all the services you can provide and invite potential clients/students to have the ability to tell you what they'd like to learn the most.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast