Just a thought I had about the new Dicer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Just a thought I had about the new Dicer

With the release of the Dicer and after watching some video's with it, it seems like the turntable is now turning more and more into a CDJ.

Why don't these guys just throw the towel in and go buy a CDJ already?

Because vinyl has superior feel? I think..

each to their own, people prefer what they prefer

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Tactile Feel... its that simple.

If you dont use vinyl then you wont get what the fuss is about.
    Its a totally different way of DJing. Being able to f*ck about with tracks like a controllerist but with decks is an awesome thing. Thats why i bought Traktor Scratch in the first place.

And also scratching on CDJs is shite... Its got no relation to using vinyl at all.

I think the Dicer is a really forward thinking device.

The platter on a turntable is twice as large as a CDJ, and the CDJ provides no resistance. Also, a decent used set of turntables with serato or scratch is around $1,400. One good CDJ1000mk3 can cost that.
    Von Doom! aka Victorious
    www.isvictorious.com
    Gear list goes here - "It's the carpenter, not the tools"

Tech Guru

one could also say that cdjs are becoming more like software/midi controller setups,what with the CDJ2000s.

but there's a market for people who prefer the feel of cdjs to midi controllers/laptops, just as there's a market for people who prefer vinyl to cdjs.

FEEL.
    Thats why I keep my turntables around anyway. Well.... that and the fact that I have a shit load of vinyl. I had CDJ's and CDX's but sold them after a couple years. Just wasn't for me. The CDJ's didn't have active platters and they were only 7". I also had the CDX's with the 12in active platter and while it was nice it just wasn't the same. Nothing beats the feel of an actual turntable IMO.

Im not one of those vinyl purist, but I will never sell my turntables. NEVER. They mean a lot to me. I have changed with the times though and most of my Djing is done on my VCI and Traktor these days. To each his own.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

looking purely from the context of the way vinyl can be used to manipulate music etc, cdjs don't stand up in anyway.
    from a 'normal mixing' pov then yeah, cdjs have an advantage

there's pros/cons for all 3 ways (TT, CDJ, Midi) it comes down to what you want. i've mixed on all 3 over the last 10 years and i prefer midi, it can do things i wanted to do when i was 15, but the kit was too expensive/didn't exist yet. occasionally miss vinyl, but when i do get to have a fiddle i remember the cramped/unflexible feeling i used to have, obviously that isn't the case anymore, but i've made my choice

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

yes!

Need both.

Can't scratch proper without a turntable. And it makes me feel good to be able to manipulate it too.

Like....i am getting the WHOLE experience.....not just cueing up....pressing play and using the Point 7 Rule to match the BPM's.

Over that now...
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I also have the 3 systems, tts, midi, and cdjs. I just love djing in any way but each one has its own thing. The mixes you come up with are totally different.

Midi gives you super powers, it is awesome to play like that. In terms of the final product (your mix) will be pretty good every time, it is hard to screw up and music selection is quite simple, scrolling and loading I have lots of fun on the mixer and defently come up with more fresh (imporv) ideas

Cdjs, are for people that like to beatmatch but are not into spendig all their cash in Vinyls . Still they offer you the easiest and most reliable set up, the only thing you need to show up is a small cd bag or just a couple of mem sticks. You can buy all the music online and use it for ever..
    AND NO COMPUTER ... yeah. I am vci addict but really just leaving home with a cd bag compared with ... ok you know what is in your dj bag tons of messy cables, adapters, controlers, interfaces, stands, ... etc. It is quite a thing to setup also.

Finally Vinyl... mmm this is for people that like to feel the satisfaction after the set you selected every track by hand, cued it up, beatmatch it, synched , mixed and danced it... just cant get any better...
    Downthing is that you need to buy and carry lots of vinyl and you know the rest... And the most probable thing is that you will mess your set a couple of times

I love all the hand work that it involves. Literally you need to wash your hands after playing

If you are into vinyl and you are using timecodes, then having the dicer is awesome. Dont need to touch the pc again. I believe that this is the speciific market for the dicer.

I still cant tell you if any one is better, they are just different in my opinion. I dont scratch but I am sure that if I would then tts are the way to go.
    Last edited by alien2k; 06-10-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast