New Laptop for Dj'ing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Laptop for Dj'ing

Hey all,

I've recently started getting massive overheating issues with my laptop. And its been a bit of a general purpose workhorse for the past couple years as it is with downloading and surfing the net ...

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out ...

i'm ready to grab a new laptop specifically for controllerism and controllerism only. I want to spend somewhere between 500 and 1k dollars.

I had read a post on another site where someone had suggested buying a computer with a really sick CPU but lacking in RAM so that you can just buy some after market RAM for a cheaper price and replace the stock RAM. Just an idea to save some much needed money as i'm going to need to purchase a sound card as well.

I'm using a Novation Remote 25SL with Traktor ... and ideally , i'd like to have a seperate midi controller hooked up for vst uses so I can solo over tracks as well ...

any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by metaverse; 11-06-2008 at 10:33 PM.

c'mooooooon

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Those laptops are fine. i mean, really if you treat it right almost any laptop would work. 4 gigs of RAM, a 2.0 dual core... 250 gig hard drive... it's got the bare necessities.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Tech Mentor

I bought myself a white macbook (early 2008) 2.4 ghz, 160 gb, 3 gb ram for $1000. I like the OS a lot more than Windows XP and Vista. I would say wait a little until after Christmas. There's going to be a lot of people who receive laptops and either sell their old one or sell their new ones.

Buying it brand new in the box or slightly used should save you quite a bit (enough for maybe another controller =-D) and you should still be covered by the warranty. Hopefully this helps.

Craigslist became my best friend after I saved about $1000 buying items slightly used. Maybe it'll be yours as well. Cheers.

Tech Convert

check out the macbook blowout special
    http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbook/

refurbished lenovo thinkpads for a damn steal
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Len...%20R%20Series/

or check out the dells
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...=22&l=en&s=dfh

i'm still deciding as well for a new laptop. might cave for the macbook if i can get some more cash.

Thanks for all the info guys ...

@ Andrew - Thats a good point about christmas and checking craigslist. Thanks.

@ Sleeps - I was wondering about those lenovo computers - I didn't realize they are IBM's.

At this point i'm not just looking at CPU speed but i'm looking at the FSB the L2 Cache , the Hard drive speed [7200 rpm] , ect ... Alot of the 750-1000 dollar laptops have 5400 rpm drives and are generally not setup for speed.

Tech Convert

yea you kinda have to dig through all the refurbished stuff to find a good deal. i've noticed a lot of 5400 rpm drives too, but thinking i may run a second partition on an external hard drive thats faster for my music apps. since i will need more hard drive space anyway

Tech Mentor

Im an Apple guy and let me tell you, downtime. When your computer needs to be repair they do it ASAP, depending on what store you go to. Either way when you buy a computer take another look at the service, especially if your doing gigs and the downtime hurts your business.
    Thank Ya!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast