Help me please I cant decide!
    Tech Convert

Default Help me please I cant decide!

Hi,
    I would like to give digital DJing a go without splashing out on really expensive gear.
    I have narrowed my options to
    • Vestax Typhoon – Are the larger touch sensitive pads an advantage?
    • Hercules RMX
    • Numark Omni Control
    As far as I can see the Hercules and Numark are pretty much the same so I guess the choice is between one of them and the Typhoon?
    For a noob, and leaving room for progression which would you recommend? Anything else I should be considering (preferably with a built in sound card)?
    Many thanks.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I hear more good things about the Hercules RMX than the other ones you listed.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

gear advice does not typically follow the "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" logic.

I've built my workflow based on some advice, but ultimately it came down to interpreting my old style of decks and vinyl to the digital controller domain.

Having said that... I too have heard good things about the Hercules controller.

Tech Guru

i've used an RMX and its pretty good with the built in soundcard. Makes it easy to show up with a laptop and controller and plug in.

Never used a typhoon but Im a big fan of touch sensitive jog wheels.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

The RMX has a great following, it's owners tend to really like them.

My friend has a Omni, I'm not too impressed with it.

The Typhoon gets great support here and flashflooder knows his mappings (he works with Ean on the DJTT VCI mapping) so I'm confident that his mapping will max out the Typhoon. The touch sensitive jogs would bend me towards this as the choice controller from your list.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and how you get on with it.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Mentor

I had am RMX untill I got my Xone 3D, and it did me right.

Plus: if you decide you don't like DJing, or switch to a different controller, the RMX pretty reliably sells for about 250+ dollars on eBay.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Mentor

What kind of music do you play and what kind of program do you use?

Tech Convert

Thank you for your thoughts.

Im intending to use traktor. Music wise either disco, classic house and at the other extreme dnb, dubstep etc. Into hiphop as well but not realy interested in scratching.

I dabbled a little in mixing years ago but would like to give it a proper go this time without too much of an initial financial outlay.

I am tempted by the larger, touch sensitive jogs of the typhoon but it seems to lack the greater variety of dials etc of the RMX. In Traktor I presume its possible to assign things like pitch lock to laptop keys? Or alternatively is there an additional unit with controls/faders I could add to my setup once Im ready to move beyond the basics?

Tech Mentor

The larger touch sensitive jogs aren't really worth it, I would think. (but then, I've never had them, so they could be better than I realize) Besides, if it's scratching you want, you could rig up a really clever midi mapping on the cross fader, so that the other deck would pause and the other jog goes into "scratchy mode" if the fader moved past a certain point.

And there are modular-ish controllers available, like the faderfox, midiFighter, and Xone 1D, BCR/F etc. If that is what you're asking.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Convert

I decided to splash some extra cash and bought a Vestax VCI 100 on ebay in the hope that I'll stick with it!

Thanks for all your advice and I'll let you know how I get on with it.