Need thoughts/imput/answers for my wildly stupid promotion CD idea

Default Need thoughts/imput/answers for my wildly stupid promotion CD idea

Ok so im planning on giving out a "live" CD both for listening & promotional uses. Its pretty legit, (even has pretty decent album artwork) and is gonna comprise of 20-40ish "vs" songs (my soundcloud has a bunch of them up if you need an idea of what i mean) and im planning on putting a mix or two in there. THATS where i need help. i made a kickass setlist the other day thats 43 songs and goes from like 110 bpm to 138 (and its not even done because i have barely begun adding the trance & hard trance that i wanted) and i did a rough test mix today and i was only 24 songs in and it had already been an hour! so im basically stuck as to what i should do (maybe stick to one genre per mix? i like variety and it kinda bugs me but im willing to make that small sacrafice) and how long exactly would you guys reccomend mixes be? (i heard 20 minutes is reasonable but im not too sure) but yeah so basically is a hybrid mix/song album that i can both give out to friends who dig the spin i put on songs and promoters so they know what im about when it comes to live
    also, im probably releasing in volumes so i guess i should release maybe more towards 20 so i have stuff for a "vol 2."?
    and is having like 50+ songs for a setlist too much?

sorry for all the questions btw. im too scared to ask my other dj buddies cuz they'd think im a complete retard (i dont blame 'em)

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Imho, you should stick to 1 or 2 genres in an hour long mix with 15-20 tracks max. The goal is to showcase your awesome mixing and music selection talent, not that you have the bigger and larger collection of tracks ever :-) plus you'll be making other promo CDs later so this one doesn't have to have everything crammed in. Less is more :-)

My 2 cts anyway
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichane View Post
    Imho, you should stick to 1 or 2 genres in an hour long mix with 15-20 tracks max. The goal is to showcase your awesome mixing and music selection talent, not that you have the bigger and larger collection of tracks ever :-) plus you'll be making other promo CDs later so this one doesn't have to have everything crammed in. Less is more :-)

My 2 cts anyway
    Cheers
    haha well your opinion is appreciated. all im worried about is balancing between giving a great mix but not giving away all my best tracks, so i have some fresh stuff to perform with if i ever get onstage (or does that really even matter?)

-
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I think it depends on the genre, house & trance i see usually 10-15 tracks for an hour mix but drum n bass i've seen 25-35 (i usually fit around 28 or so into an hour) it also depends on your mixing style.
    As for a promo mix, while I haven't done one yet, I might think making it at max 30 min, not all club managers have an hour for your mix. Also having something special about you mix like a really sick mashup or something that will set you apart. The key is to showcase your skills, as said above.

Just my inexperienced 2 cents.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    I think it depends on the genre, house & trance i see usually 10-15 tracks for an hour mix but drum n bass i've seen 25-35 (i usually fit around 28 or so into an hour) it also depends on your mixing style.
    As for a promo mix, while I haven't done one yet, I might think making it at max 30 min, not all club managers have an hour for your mix. Also having something special about you mix like a really sick mashup or something that will set you apart. The key is to showcase your skills, as said above.

Just my inexperienced 2 cents.
    lol inexperienced yet still wonderfully useful 2 cents if i might say myself haha yeah i get you plus the longer my mixes are the crappier they are. i guess im gonna try to go all out then, get the best sounding stuff out there i can (i havnt used much sample work but i heard thats great for mixing it up) im mostly a house/hard trance guy but i enjoy DnB and Dubstep too (working on a 35 min DnB mix as we speak actually) but yeah ill probably throw a couple 1/2 hour mixes in there and itll be alright. so i guess about 2-4 minutes per song is good for a 1/2 hour house mix? and does that include transition time or not? gawd im such a newb

-

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Hmm... 2-4 minutes seems alright, leaning more towards the 4 though, I'd say including transition time but this depends on your mixing style. But I wouldn't really quote me on any of this because I have very little experience mixing house (don't have the collection for it ). Hopefully one of the guys who mixes a lot of house and trance (I'm sure there are some out there >_>) will be able to give you a few pointers... also I think you should try to stay true to your mixing style when you're making the promo mix.
    I guess the worst you can do is to just do the mix then post it up here and get some opinions before you throw it on a promo CD.
    Last edited by Citizen_Insane; 06-21-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.