german music recommendations?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default german music recommendations?

so when i first joined djtt forums, i was hassling you guys with all sorts of questions so i could get ready for my first paid gig: a high school winter formal at a school outside of DC for children of german diplomats and business people.

thanks to all your help, i was able to rock it so hard that they've asked me back to do their graduation party.

small potatoes? definitely. but considering how most of my djing takes place in living rooms, it's a pretty big deal to me. 300$ AND the party is at the german ambassador's house. yes, i'm djing a high school graduation party here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ncindc/2881588040/

anyway, all that was 50% to say THANK YOU for all the help and 50% to stoke myself out.

on to the actual point:

these kids are pretty german. i'm not german at all. so i can't claim to understand why they absolutely FLIP THE F OUT when i play this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvvTX0bwPo

seriously. they go apeshit.

here are some other songs from their request list they sent to me:
    Akustikrausch- Diskoschlampe
    Frauenarzt- Disco pogo
    darius and finlay
    michael mind

i've actually got a pretty decent number of songs i know they'll love, but i was hoping you guys could recommend a song or two, hopefully by a german artist or with german vocals, that will blow their minds; make them say "wait, how the f does this american guy know about _____?"

so, got any german bangers i should know about?

<rant> if you're curious, they don't just love german techno/house. they've actually got a pretty mixed american/german identity. which makes their request list pretty entertaining. it's like 45% techno/house/rave, 45% top 40, and 10% why-the-hell-are-they-requesting-"bittersweet symphony"-that-song-came-out-when-they-where-6.

so, got any remixes of "bittersweet symphony" i should know about? </rant>
    15" MBP, BCD 3000, Korg PadKontrol + farmpad
    barely scratching the surface

id have to ask my german mate but the only thing i hear him listening to constantly is sido, fler and aggro berlin but i think thats more hip hop there may be some remixes though not sure on the language if its at an ambassadors house though good luck

Tech Wizard

umm yeah... about that....

when i got their request list for the winter formal, i was like "how the hell am i going to get away with playing a song called "sexy bitch" at a highschool dance?"

i brought this up with my friend, the teacher, and she assured me that "this is a progressive school! it'll be fine!"

so i show up with my explicit content to find that there's only a few chaperones (some of which were my roommates who i dragged with me) and it's pretty much just the kids running around. luckily, security and child welfare aren't what i was getting paid for. i later found out via one of the students that "sexy bitch" was actually their class song. no shit. specifically, (of course), the david guetta remix. their class. fucking. song.

tonight's going to be different though, you're right. it's at the ambassador's house and there's going to be tons of parents there as far as i'm told. i'm just planning on doing my thing and if anyone complains, i'll say "sorry" and just keep playing what i want until someone actually asks me to stop playing. i can always tell them "these are the songs your children requested." i don't think it's going to be a problem though. these families are rich as shit and the kids are given a certain amount of autonomy and trust (misplaced or not).

Ha, ok. Well judging by that track they're not the typical minimal berlin crowd, rather the shitty euro pop crowd.. Try the eurovision tracklist?

Jokes aside man if they're high school kids you can probably get away with anything. Play a few popular american radio tracks mixed into the continuing theme of the above fruity pop. Chances are they'll be so mashed from the one beer they've shared in the toilets they wont even remember anyway.

I'd be rocking this for sure! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3vknNR1lE

Good luck

Tech Wizard

gahhh, i dunno how i forgot about that. definitely putting frau on my list ASAP. thanks, zac!

I seem to have dug up some very odd and yet good German Reggae of all things - I recall one group being called Bost & Bim. I'll rummage for more when I get home.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

ARGHI just wanted to tell you stay the funk away from Die Atzen (Frauenarzt & Manny Marc) and get some stuff from Deichkind instead. (Better produced and smarter, but still hilarious lyrics.) Of course you should only get tracks from their last two albums "Aufstand im Schlaraffenland" and "Arbeit Nervt". (Before "Aufstand" they were just a mediocre Hip Hop act. Then they were hit by lighting and turned into a crazy ass electro party band.)
    I recommend to you from Deichkind:

- Remmidemmi (Yippie Yippie Yeah)
    - Arbeit nervt
    - Metro
    - Limit

And here is the legendary "incident" from Melt Festival, where they asked the fans to come up on stage, while they played Remmidemmi at 4am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nUakdp8-po

99 Lufteballoons

funny you call it music.

#2 on deichkind here.

greetings from hamburg.

"its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

Tech Wizard

due to recent events you might want to play "lena meyer-landrut - satellite"...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast