Eliminating beat in the mix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eliminating beat in the mix

Just got a copy of Traktor 3 last month, and have been messing around with it on a regular basis since then. I'm having trouble minimizing the beat from a lot of tracks however. Say i take a track like DANCE by Justice and want to layer the vocal over the beat of another song, i normally would kill the bass and increase the high and mid. No matter what i try, I cant seem to completely remove the original beat from the track and my mixes dont end up as I would like.

Are there any sure fire ways of doing this or is it just a case of the track being unsuitable? Has anyone got any good EQ settings for this kind of thing? Any help is welcome!

a band pass filter will work better for this application but you will never be able to remove the vocals fully. that is until melodyn comes out with their new plug-in!

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    a band pass filter will work better for this application but you will never be able to remove the vocals fully. that is until melodyn comes out with their new plug-in!
    Yeah Melodyne is going to rock, though i am still unsure of how well it will work at completely separating audio that shares the same frequency range, guess we will have to wait and see !

Tech Mentor

Search for remixes to see if they feature a section with just the vocals.

The one that immediately comes to mind is titled "D.A.N.C.E. Rehearsal". It's on the Japanese release of Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    Search for remixes to see if they feature a section with just the vocals.

The one that immediately comes to mind is titled "D.A.N.C.E. Rehearsal". It's on the Japanese release of Cross.
    Just using DANCE as an example, first track that came to mind with strong vocals, but yeh thats not a bad idea.

Ive tried a couple of the filters already without much success, guess its just a matter of persistance!

Tech Wizard

i suggest buying acapellas!

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    Somehow I am still waiting for someone to yell April fool's...
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    i suggest buying acapellas!
    True, but you have to be more inventive when the acapella isn't publically available

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JAC View Post
    Just using DANCE as an example, first track that came to mind with strong vocals, but yeh thats not a bad idea.

Ive tried a couple of the filters already without much success, guess its just a matter of persistance!
    Well I mean there are so many variables involved when it comes to what you're trying to do. My preferred method is to just find a hot remix that works well on the dancefloor, that has section with just the vocals (hopefully).

It also depends on the track you're layering the vocals over. If they're close enough, you won't perceive the original's beat so much.

Simply playing with the EQs can only do so much but when you get into filters as well I wouldn't necessarily say it's "better", it really just depends on the track.

Anyway, experiment away. There's no proper way to do this, nor is it always possible.

Tech Wizard

I was wanting to know if you mix a beat with a rap acapella how do you sync them up? techno

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast