PA System

Thread: PA System

Tech Mentor

Default PA System

So I'm looking to upgrade from my JVC stereo system I currently use for my set up to a PA system. I'm trying to keep it between $500-600. I'm pretty indifferent to active vs. passive but I guess passive would be a slight preference for me. What would you guys suggest, if anything, within that price range.
    Thanks

Tech Mentor

I have a pair of active behringer speakers that are pretty sweet. They're the B215As if I recall correctly. They get really loud before anything starts to get distorted, and you can fill up a pretty good sized room with them.

The ran me about 350 each, which is a little over your budget, but totally worth it.

Another good pair to look at are the Tapco Thumps, or so I've heard.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Mentor

Thanks, yeah I have been looking at the Thumps, they are sold under Mackie now I think though. So is a powered system the most economical way to go?

+1 with the behringers, i also have the (3) 215a. price is ok, and the sound is good. I dont do alot of mobile gigs, but they usually are enough for 100 - 200 people.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

If you're leaning toward passives... I"ve been using Turbosound TXD 151's and they continue to impress (sonically...as they are not the best for bangin' out ridiculous SPL)

You may want to check out some EV Eliminators (15 and a horn type config)...you may be able to get a pair real cheap if they're used.

I've been using a set of Behringer 212XLs powered by a Crown XLS1000 amp. Good for smaller gigs - I do recommend getting a sub though to pump out the low end.
    www.djstormeagle.com

DJ Gear: Traktor Pro 2|Traktor Kontrol S4|Macbook Pro
    Audio Gear: Crown XLS 1500|Behringer 212XL|Gemini GVX-SUB 15P
    Lighting: American DJ Galaxian 3D|American DJ LED Megabar 50|American DJ Mini Fog