if you made your own songs, isnt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default if you made your own songs, isnt

it easy to find that pro-label that you like and drop them with an email and introduce yourself, but what about the chances of being rejected? and you could be worried about that? so really the question could be is, how do you get on the winning team of that pro-record label who are finding 30 big gigs to their top dj's. what do you do? do you start to spin like them, and make songs like them, and then when the time comes for the dj to retire, do you msg the company like if your his replacement but you don't mention it. and the songs you made and the style you spin is just like the dj who retired.

could this be the masterplan, will it work?

whats your opinion?
    Last edited by cutflow; 06-15-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Banned

No, it won't work.Not doing anything original, trying to conform to a certain sound and they'll see through that right away

plus dj's never retire, the big names are almost the same 10 years on, its not like pro sports where injury's and age take a toll, its simply a case of keeping your eye on the ball once you've made it, the trick is to make it.

Tech Mentor

i guess but what about if no one else has that style, what about if you can take that style and make it better. some djs have families, i dont rlly know any pro dj's that are spinning and are 40yrs+ can u list some, i'd be interested to know.

morales, tenaglia, oakenfold, fatboyslim, pearce, cox, probably tong and jules too,norman jay anyone who remembers 1988 as the summer of love and dancing in the fields to 808 state.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggers View Post
    morales, tenaglia, oakenfold, fatboyslim, pearce, cox, probably tong and jules too,norman jay anyone who remembers 1988 as the summer of love and dancing in the fields to 808 state.
    damn lol so i guess this brings things back to where you say the trick is to make it. but people might wonder, well how do you make it? what do you do, and i guess this means making good tracks, having a good set, or sets and just presenting yourself with these tools to a record label or a few and hope one picks you......idk thats my guess unless you want to add your input or anyone else. lets hear what YOU got to say

you keep at it for years and years. you constantly push yourself to be better at what you do, and **EVENTUALLY** it pays off (if you play your cards right). the people that have "made it" have been doing it for a long, long, time.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Banned

You don't "make it" as a DJ now a days, you "make it" from producing tunes that every other DJ wants to play, then you start getting asked to play gigs.

The trick is to be ahead of the curve, and to get everyone else trying to produce in the style that you helped make big. You want to be an originator, not a follower.

Banned

As for DJ's over 40, Hawtin, Vath, Dubfire, Dave Seaman, John Digweed, Sasha, Carl Craig, Ricardo Villalobos, Little Louie Vega and many more who are still at the top of their game and still show no sign of slowing down because they are always innovating and ahead of the curve.

Not sure exactly where you're coming from but my first thought is D.I.Y. Love your tracks, have your own style, don't try to emulate ANYONE. Many of the GREATS have carved their own niche, started their own record label, started with a grass roots club following and just kept on laying it down. The era of the "DJ" as a Rock Star has come and gone. It'll come back again (someday) but if what you're looking for is "Fame" then maybe look somewhere else, like, ie. producing pop music with vocoder/pitch bending vocals. DJing for me has always been a hobby but I have MANY friends that have tried to make it their career with only a few, truly "succeeding". Many of my favorite DJs have moved on to producing tracks, putting DJing on the back burner. Only you can decide where your heart lies.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast