Recommendations on buying used.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Recommendations on buying used.

Hello all.

Currently I am getting the money together to get my gear. But, these days, money is tight.

I am set on buying the VCI 100 SE and Audio 2 or 4 DJ New.

However, what actually is playing the sound is where I have this MASSIVE problem.

On one side I have a BUNCH of people telling me good big monitors (like the Mackie MR5s or the M-Audio BX8s) will be more than enough to use as "speakers" for small events like an apartment party. The thing is money is an issue and these are a good value since eventually I am going to want to be producing music, so I will need monitors, but at the same time I want to mix.

On the other side I have a whole BUNCH of other people telling me not to use monitors as they can break if you push them too much. And have told me to get a PA system (in this case I looked at the Peaver PR 12s powered by the QSC850. Good idea, but I would still need to spend more money later on when i start producing.

Now which of the following would you all recommend buying used:

PA-way:

QSC 850 Power Amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/QSC-RMX-...40-i1145670.gc

with one or two Peaver PR12(S):http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-P...48-i1153013.gc

OR

The Monitor way:

M-Audio MR5s: http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-...90-i1406021.gc

Also, if you could please tell me your opinion on the whole PA v Monitors to use as speakers for SMALL events like APARTMENT parties that would be great!

Much thanks as always.

-Gianmarco
    Last edited by GPS; 06-19-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

I bought my VCI(with current mapping) and an Audio 2 off of this forum and I have been nothing but pleased. But you never know what you are going to get from someone you don't know.

Do yourself a favor though, and go midi. As a recovering vinyl addict, I'm hooked again and loving it.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Waterjunkie View Post

Do yourself a favor though, and go midi. As a recovering vinyl addict, I'm hooked again and loving it.
    any recommendations on this?

-Gianmarco
    DJEditorHugger

VCI-100SE, a mac, a good soundcard, headphones, and your imagination....

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Waterjunkie View Post
    VCI-100SE, a mac, a good soundcard, headphones, and your imagination....
    arent...these..what i originally posted at to what i was going to get?

-Gianmarco
    DJEditorHugger

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Hello all.

Currently I am getting the money together to get my gear. But, these days, money is tight.

What I am looking to getting (I will consider buying these used if worth it):

-VCI 100 SE
    -Audio 2 or 4
    -Mackie MR5s

Would anyone recommend buying these brands used?

Much thanks as always.

-Gianmarco
    Hiya,

I bought the exact set up you have listed (VCI 100se & Audio 2) second had from the buy and sell section here and have had no probs so again I can't comment on other things to buy second hand but if you find the right deal you can save yourself alot and end up with the same end products that may only be a few months old?

p.s already had an MBP (from new) so can't comment there either.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Guru

bump with new info:

Much thanks as always.

-Gianmarco
    DJEditorHugger

If you're eventual plan is to produce your own tracks, you'll get much more of a result from some nice near field monitors, that is, if in fact, you're only using them in "small" house parties. If you know basic's in audio and gain staging and have a halfway decent ear, you're not going to "blowout" a set of decent nearfields. They'll be distorting LONG before you blow them(unless you're underpowering them). I've used the same set of Urei nearfields for YEARS and played parties much larger than "a small apartment" and had zero problems. That being said, the Mackie's will rock a nice outdoor party and are MORE than enough for an apartment BUT not the cleanest, flatest sound for producing. Do you need the "cleanest, flatest" system to produce good tracks? No, as long as you check your mixes on various different systems, ie. your car stereo, computer speakers, your buddies home theater. Ultimately, you need to purchase based on what you TRULY feel you'll use them more for. Besides, if you're a good enough DJ or producer then you should make enough to buy the other speakers/amp eventually, right? OT maybe one of the moderators should move my post to the "I iz drunk thread"
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    If you're eventual plan is to produce your own tracks, you'll get much more of a result from some nice near field monitors, that is, if in fact, you're only using them in "small" house parties. If you know basic's in audio and gain staging and have a halfway decent ear, you're not going to "blowout" a set of decent nearfields. They'll be distorting LONG before you blow them(unless you're underpowering them). I've used the same set of Urei nearfields for YEARS and played parties much larger than "a small apartment" and had zero problems. That being said, the Mackie's will rock a nice outdoor party and are MORE than enough for an apartment BUT not the cleanest, flatest sound for producing. Do you need the "cleanest, flatest" system to produce good tracks? No, as long as you check your mixes on various different systems, ie. your car stereo, computer speakers, your buddies home theater. Ultimately, you need to purchase based on what you TRULY feel you'll use them more for. Besides, if you're a good enough DJ or producer then you should make enough to buy the other speakers/amp eventually, right? OT maybe one of the moderators should move my post to the "I iz drunk thread"
    thanks for the reply, I am planning on using them for apartment parties. Ill probably start using them for producing next year when I have time to learn ableton.

so...would u recommend the Mackies or M-audios (...i have heard horroe stories about M-Audios customer service though....)

THANKS MAN!
    DJEditorHugger

Mackie's will let you "rock the party" in a much larger space than the M-audio's. M-audio's will be cleaner in a nearfield mix down environment. I guess it comes down to the age old question of whether you're a DJ or a remixer/producer? Just understand that "nearfield" monitors are made to give a "flat" response in a close environment. So if you're using them as your DJ monitors and your mains they'll sound best right in front of you but not as "flat" from a distance (ie. you may/probably have low and or high end roll off when off axis).
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast