Anyone use an Airport Express?
    Tech Wizard

Default Anyone use an Airport Express?

Hey guys,

Just came from of shop where they had some boy from Apple demoing the Airport Express. He was showing me how you can wirelessly transmit audio from your laptop to the airport express which you can then plug into any speaker/stereo/mixer etc via RCA.

He says it doesnt just work with mac, will work with any laptop and with a program called Airfoil, it will work with any audio, not just itunes.

Normally when I DJ, they'll have decks setup or CDJ's and I kinda feel like I'm getting in the way turning up with my laptop and VCI-100 and try to find a space in the end of a booth where I can setup and connect up to the mixer in between sets. I'm seeing the benefits of being able to use the Airport so I dont essentially have to setup within a couple of feet of the mixer.

Also, I suffer from the typical problem of getting buzzing, *white noise* when using my laptop with the power plugged in and have just been running of the battery which always makes me nervous. I read a 'Ground Loop Isolator' can sometimes fix the problem and they're really cheap so was going to pick them up but was wondering again, if using the Airport Express would clean up the problem.

So I guess after all that, before I go and buy one has anyone any experience using one? or any advice they can give?

Once again, thanks in advance for any input.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't think I would trust streaming music to get me through a live gig.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Longer cords and a group loop isolator, solved. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be a lot harder than this fix and would have failure potentials that wired systems wouldn't have.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Convert

i'm with photo on this

Tech Wizard

fair enough.

It's quite a cool little device but I guess your right.

thanks for your reply

pretty cool for home use, my brother has one hooked to his sound system. you can be anywhere in the room and bang it over the speakers with no wires. and if i want to show him a tune i can pop open itunes and start playing it from his system, while i'm sitting upstairs/outside/etc.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

I heard theres noticable lag with Airfoil.

For home I bought two of these..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...udio&cp=1&lp=6

They sound and work great. There is a few milliseconds of lag but it's not really noticable. Great if you don't want to run cables at home.

And if you're playing live, ALWAYS use cables.

Tech Student

You'll get noticeable lag - it's fine if you're not trying to sync more than one audio source, but, presumably, if you're monitoring out of your soundcard, there'll be a delay between the monitor mix and the live one. A big one, too - I tried it in my house once, and it was ~ .5 of a second. Fine if you just want to play music wirelessly, where timing (once the track is started) is irrelevant; lousy if you want to mix.

My issue with the airport was always that I'd be paying for the router inside that thing when all I want is to transmit music wirelessly from my laptop at home. Thanks for that link verbal!