Should i stay with it ???
    Tech Mentor

Default Should i stay with it ???

hey guys im thinking of picking a korg zero4 is a helll of a mixer simply amazing....i already own a vci so where im undecide is on should i keep the vci or should i sell it....like i mostly play electronica music so i really dont need the jogs that much only to piych but i can do that with a simple knob so guys please help me decide......

and btw before ppl start saying and complaning about the size here are the specification is about the same....

korg zero 4 dimension
    300 (W) x 402 (D) x 105 (H) mm / 11.81" (W) x 15.83" (D) x 4.13" (H)
    WEIGHT
    5.5 kg / 12.13 lbs.

Vestax VCI
    360(W) x 252(D) x 35(H) mm (Excluding knob height)
    WEIGHT
    estimates weight at 4kg (over 8lbs)

I know the Korg Zero4 is an amazing mixer. (It's still on my wanted list too!)

I was discussing this once with a friend of mine. He also has a VCI and is one month away from having his Zero4.
    He is thinking of keeping the VCI, just for FX, tricks and trackselection.
    This is something I would with the BCR too.

If money is no object, keep it. You can always use the extra controls.

But that's just my two cents.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Like im not going to use that much all the effects on traktor cuz I really like the effects of the zero 4 and plus im just going to use it as a 2 channel mixer and stiil going to have 2 channels empty for midi mmmmm!!!

Well, with the new effect stapling in Traktor Pro, you might want the extra controlls, that's all I am saying.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

You could get rid of it and get a BCR is what tekki is saying
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

The korg zero 4 doesnt have nearly enough buttons on it to mix with.

And with the size, its the height that is the problem, you could stack 2 vci-100's ontop of one another and still be smaller than that unit - thats a pretty big consideration when it comes to portablity.

The jogs are handy for cueing material you dont have cue points on - just generally hopping around a song is what the jogs great for on the VCI. Also you need rotaries for pitching and this that mixer doesnt have any.

As for the effects on the unit, you might find traktor Pro's smart-knob style effects more to your liking than the effects on the unit.

Alot of this all depends how much you are into controllerism or if you just want to mix - the korg zero 4 is harly a complete replacment for the VCI-100 its missing alot of needed controls.

Tech Mentor

yjanks guys for all the advice im just going to keep the vci 100 as a tranport control,the jogs and load tracks and use the korg as an external unit....i cant wait to mapped to ableton too....mmmm i simply wish that the VCM 600 was out already

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    The korg zero 4 doesnt have nearly enough buttons on it to mix with.
    Still I would love to pick you up on that challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Still I would love to pick you up on that challenge.
    Well.. sure you could mix with it.. you can mix with a paper cup and a rubber band if you wanted too. But the mixes wont be anything that spectacular and would hardly be utilising alot of the advantages of mixing digitally.

Ghehehehe. Not all mixing is about special tricks, some are more about atmosphere and slow transitions. For that, it would be sufficient.

Though I do agree, you might want some extra controls.