tube mic pre - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tube mic pre

^^^aaah you beat me to it Drew

I think this is the one we need:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/64...Headphone-Kit/

Cheap(~$27AU), easy to build, has RCA in/out, and sounds fantastic per this quote:

Some of you will likely be turned off by the very low cost of this kit. Before you pass judgment on this little kit, do note that Audio-Technica uses a JAN 6418 sub-miniature tube in its model AT3060 condenser microphone which sells for about $600US. Music professionals often describe this microphone as having a warm classic tube sound....

Sound
    The very first build (stock kit) blew me out of my favorite listening chair. This subsequent (upgraded) build seemed a little restrained. Or is it just better balanced? I did feel the first build was a bit foreword which may make this build sound a little reserved by comparison. Also I had a few hours of listening time on the first build and as any thermionic fanatic knows, new valves can have an extended break-in period. Because of their size I would guess that the JAN6418 needs no more than ten hours of continuous play to "settle" them. They do not have a huge life. Setting the filament voltage at a low 1.2V should give one to three years of hard play with little detriment to sound quality. Higher filament voltages will drastically shorten tube life. The tubes are about $2 each and I bought an extra ten tubes.
    Anytime you can dig out micro detail and recorded nuances you WILL get a richer, wider, fuller more detailed sound stage. That's what this preamp can do in spades. Good depth, wide breadth and sharp detail revealing fine recorded detail with no hard edges. Every track I listen to now delivers fine detail previously hidden. Tone and resonance in voice now has an extra layer, finer, breathier than I have heard before. Massed strings sound like the space about them was recorded rather than the instruments themselves, airy almost thin. Oboes don’t sound like I remember and every key touch is transported into the room. Piano is a little more "sweet gong" like than all-out bell like. But no register appears to dominate. Bass / rhythm (left hand (lower notes)) are in perfect balance with right hand melody / lead line (higher notes). The piano sounds balanced-tonally, addictive.
    The base kit from Oatley Electronics is well worth the $27AU price tag. The original kit may sound too forward though. For about $20 more you can transform this basic kit into a very tonally balance high performance preamp. Or just build yourself a retro-thermionic portable valve headphone driver to go with your space-age mp3 player, iPod or steam driven portable CD player. For 27 bucks, how novel?
    Mark Houston
    DIY Convener, Melbourne Audio Club

Yeah a muliband tube diatorion woukld be pretty boss i gotta admit, ill look into this personalky though id build the crossovers directly into the unit rather than relying on another mixer to do the frequency splits.

Hey, if this works you've a nice addition the the DJTT store...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I just called the dude from oakley electronics because he is here in australia to get some advice, he said hes been considering making a new kit to do exactly what we need it to without adding any gain to the signal which is exactly what we it to do. The current kits will add a little bit of gain but not much at all.

Ill be in contact with him via email to talk about the new kit so we should be able to come up with something with exactly what we need. Turn around time shouldnt be very long either, he rekons it will take a couple weeks to come up with a kit once he gets started.

If this does go through ill be sure to get my hands on a kit for a review on blog
    Last edited by BentoSan; 06-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Tech Wizard

I mainly use it in my recording studio, but using the apogee ensemble as a live amp sounds fucking great! The Duet is the next best thing, but no headphones out...

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I just called the dude from oakley electronics because he is here in australia to get some advice, he said hes been considering making a new kit to do exactly what we need it to without adding any gain to the signal which is exactly what we it to do. The current kits will add a little bit of gain but not much at all.

Ill be in contact with him via email to talk about the new kit so we should be able to come up with something with exactly what we need. Turn around time shouldnt be very long either, he rekons it will take a couple weeks to come up with a kit once he gets started.

If this does go through ill be sure to get my hands on a kit for a review on blog
    That's awesome! Good work BentoSan. I would think if it is anything like the other kit, hopefully it won't cost too much.

I was reading in the forums however, and it seems as though the little tubes the kit uses is sensitive to micro-phonics (physical vibrations), so that issue would have to be addressed. It seems that people are putting rubber grommets around the tubes to fix this issue, but I think most people who make these aren't using them in booming clubs
    Last edited by Villinus; 06-22-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    I was reading in the forums however, and it seems as though the little tubes the kit uses is sensitive to micro-phonics (physical vibrations), so that issue would have to be addressed. It seems that people are putting rubber grommets around the tubes to fix this issue, but I think most people who make these aren't using them in booming clubs
    Indeed i did address this issue with the guy creating the kits as something to take into consideration, i also pointed him to this thread so if you have interest in such a kit speak up as he might be listening Be sure to post what you want out of such a kit here too and ill make sure that he hears exactly what you guys want out of such a kit.

The kits are also sensitive to RF interference and are not supplied with a box, so you need to find a good box thats going to block out RF interference. It would also be a very good idea to put some good rubber feet on the box to help dampen the vibrations. No doubt i am actually going to test this out on a proper system in a real life high powered bass situation before posting any findings about the kit.

Also yes it will be very similar to the other kit with only a couple minor changes, so you can expect pretty similar sorts of results.

Wow! I'm glad I posted this. Seems I'm not the only one looking into this. I think we may be getting off track a bit though. I know there are great tube amps & tape machines out there, but who really wants to lug around all that gear for a live show. Let alone spend that kind of money. 4 lines in & 4 lines out. (there are 2 of us on 2 laptop setup with 2 controllers mixing internaly.) something with enough headroom to get a decent amount of analog compression to roll off the harshness of the distortion & give a more rounded bottom end. Maybe I might be asking for too much but it sure would sweet.

I agree ^^^

I'd like a simple box that purely gives analog warmth to brittle mp3's, that's potentially decent for putting in line for recording as well

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    I agree ^^^

I'd like a simple box that purely gives analog warmth to brittle mp3's, that's potentially decent for putting in line for recording as well
    Thats exactly what this kit will offer, it will be nice n small - probably battery powered (batteries will last a while and you could probably mod it to be powered by a wall wart). Simple no nonsense portable tube distortion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast